Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Baby 'cured' of HIV

(CNN) -- It's a potential game changer in the fight against HIV, and doctors say it happened almost by accident.

A baby with the virus that causes AIDS was given high doses of three antiretroviral drugs within 30 hours of her birth. Doctors knew the mother was HIV positive and administered the drugs in hopes of controlling the virus.

Two years later, there is no evidence of HIV in the child's blood.

The Mississippi girl is the first child to be "functionally cured" of HIV, researchers announced Sunday. They said they believe early intervention with the antiretroviral drugs was key to the outcome.

A "functional cure" is when the presence of the virus is so small, lifelong treatment is not necessary and standard clinical tests cannot detect the virus in the blood.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/03/he...red/index.html

Other source (slightly more skeptical): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21653463

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's awesome!

I hope this leads to an advancement in curing HIV and other cancers.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    This is good. Wonder how long it will be before we have some sort of cure, or some sort of better prevention against the HIV virus that prevents it from becoming full blown AIDS

Sure there's something like this for adults though. Something that if you suspect you have it within the 72hours or so after infection, you can start some sort of treatment that means you're less likely I develop HIV or something? I dunno, never heard a baby who inherited the disease being cured of it.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    So far, the key to a lot of these virus studies (common cold included) is to find a way to block the virus from attaching to healthy cells to release the virus into them. Blocking them eventually leads to them passing out, or possibly dying off. The more virus cells that do that, the more the symptoms disappear.

There has been a lot of talk about colds and how there are things we can take to shorten the illness - same thing only with more potent medications.

shelbster18's Avatar I'm a gangsta crayon.
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I read an article about that yesterday. This would be a major breakthrough as far as curing diseases and such goes.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.