Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    colleen's Avatar drinkingwithbabies.gov
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I go to the movies and go shopping alone. I also go to the park (with the dog alone.) I have an online SA friend who goes to big concerts alone... I would now consider doing that after hearing about his experience.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I tend to do my shopping alone. I'm thinking of going to the movies alone this Tuesday since I really wanna see Skyfall but I have no one to go with.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote CaduceusGUILT View Post
    I tend to do my shopping alone. I'm thinking of going to the movies alone this Tuesday since I really wanna see Skyfall but I have no one to go with.
    Going to the movies alone is quite nice, actually. I found it to be more enjoyable alone than in a group. It's relaxing.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote colleen View Post
    Going to the movies alone is quite nice, actually. I found it to be more enjoyable alone than in a group. It's relaxing.
    Haha! I forgot that I promised to do this! Well, guess I have no choice now!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote CaduceusGUILT View Post
    Haha! I forgot that I promised to do this! Well, guess I have no choice now!
    I look forward to reading about your experience.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i go out alone a lot. its fine, try to do something you enjoy.

its not unnormal to be alone at a movie theater or something, people do it all the time

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I do. I like to go out and walk around downtown Portland (Maine)... got one more stroll around the city in on Veterans day before winter.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I do, but mostly during the daytime to zone out and "window shop" at various big shopping areas. At night I might go to the biggest bookstore I can find, especially if it's open late. It's nice to be around other soitary bookworms When I'm in a city where the stores are open 24 hours I'm a happy guy. Sometimes I'll show up tipsy...

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A lot of times, I enjoy going out alone. A lot of my friends have very different interests that I'm not into, or we do but our schedules never work out.. so I just go places alone. Sometimes it is a bit depressing though... but much of the time, I have the time of my life. I like doing photography as well, so I'm able to do that at places without people having to wait on me and whatnot.

KramersHalfSister's Avatar I keep dancing on my own.
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't have a problem shopping alone. Matter of fact, I like it because I can just focus on what I need to get and leave a lot faster. I'm terrified to go alone to common social places like the movies, concerts, and bars though. I give props to anyone with SA that is brave enough to do that. Sometimes when I go to dinner with my family I'll see someone sitting by themselves and it makes me want to go sit with them. I often wonder if that's how I would be seen if I went out alone. I want to try to go to the movies alone though because there are a LOT of movies that I've missed out on just because I'm afraid of how other people will perceive me.
    "Throughout our history, the words of the Declaration have inspired immigrants from around the world to set sail to our shores. These immigrants have helped transform 13 small colonies into a great and growing nation of more than 300 people."

"And so the fact that they purchased the machine meant somebody had to make the machine. And when somebody makes a machine, it means there's jobs at the machine-making place."

-The Great George W. Bush

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Try to go to the movies by yourself KramersHalfSister, I used to feel the same way you do but like you said there were a lot of movies I would have missed out on as well. I am afraid of how other people will perceive me as well but I don't want to miss out on life because of my SA and I have missed out on so much because of my fear of socializing. I don't have a problem shopping alone either because I see a lot of people doing that. If you feel apprehensive about going out alone, start out by going out on Sunday night to dinner by yourself. That is what I did, I went to Ruby Tuesday's every Sunday night and it was deserted, many people are getting ready for Monday morning work and are not out eating Sunday night. When I go to the movies, I go Saturday afternoon or during the week. One time I did go out Saturday night and it was crowded but I prefer going at a time when a lot of people aren't there unless I am with someone else. But I understand the apprehension at going out alone. I think it is worse for a woman to go out alone than it is for a man. I LOVE shopping, going out to eat and the movies and I don't want to have to wait for someone else in order to do these things. Also, my coworkers' like to go out and I like to go out also with them but because I am quiet, they rather go with a group of people who are talkative. One of my coworker's used to go out alone with me but the next time we went out, she asked another woman to go with us. Another coworker didn't want to go out with me when she realized the other coworker wasn't going and this was for my birthday, it made me feel real good LOL!!!! So what I am trying to say is that don't wait for others to go with you, go out and treat yourself and enjoy your own company. I am glad I posted this because this has helped me to be able to do the same thing, to go out and have a good time by myself. I would like to go by myself but if they don't accept me as I am, then I will go by myself and enjoy myself. I have 2 friends in another state where I used to live that would go out with me alone all the time, we had a lot of fun but they are 9 hours away so hopefully I will meet other people here that don't mind going out with me alone sometimes.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I do have one friend here who would go out with me, she is single like myself but I lost her number so hopefully she will call me soon and I will ask her if she wants to go out. Kramershalfsister, do the same thing, ask a coworker or friend or family member to go out with you, I used to go places with my mother before she passed and I miss doing things with her. Don't miss out on life, go out and enjoy it, it is hard, I have to fight the anxiety of socializing every day but we can make it and be successful in socializing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.