Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lil' Wayne, and drug abuse among musicians

Okay, so you all know I'm a big music nerd.

Lil' Wayne is not my favorite, or even one of the musicians I listen to, but hear me out. What is it with all these celebrity musicians overdosing on drugs for fun? Grape soda and cough syrup...really?!

Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin...I mean, come on! All these super talented people, and they're wrecking their lives with drugs?

So, what is your opinion on musicians and drug abuse?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow i hadn't heard anything about that, although i'm not surprised. He doesn't strike me as a very intelligent individual. Isn't the codeine content of cough syrup rather low? He must have drank a [BEEP] load. Codeine is rather weak anyways but whatever. I think the homeboys have been drinking that drink for years. I always used to hear about it. Sounds nasty as hell.

Having talent (not true in lil waynes case) doesn't prevent addiction and the two aren't even related really. So asking things like "they had so much talent,why would they wreck their lives with drugs?" just doesn't make sense to me. I wouldn't imagine most musicians think as highly of their skills than an outsider would, or think of their skills as a bullet proof vest. These people aren't invincible and they're just as weak willed as the average Joe.

Pretty sure people don't overdose "for fun" either.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That makes sense, Tim.

And yeah, I wouldn't consider Wayne talented...but it's still sad that he's in a coma now with little brain activity.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote WintersTale View Post
    That makes sense, Tim.

And yeah, I wouldn't consider Wayne talented...but it's still sad that he's in a coma now with little brain activity.
    Well...i think the brain activity was a little low to begin with. Which probably explains the overdose to a certain extent. Whats sad is the guy probably got no education and was raise around total morons, thus became one himself.

Oh and apparently lil wayne is recovering well, and even tweeting. ehh..i don't know how i feel about that to be honest.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i think they mix it with promethazine
    “A Caterpie may change into a Butterfree, but the heart that beats inside it remains the same.” — Brock

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not a musician, but I surf, and I think musicians are kind of like surfers in that they both have sensation seeking personalities. When a musician is on stage or making music, it's like their on a natural high, same with surfers when it's good, surfing is a natural high, however; when musicians aren't on stage or surfers aren't surfing their jonesing for the sensations they get from those activities so they use drugs to feel the sensations they get from those activities.
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I suppose that is true for some musicians...not so much for others.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    FlirtyFlirty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with whiteman but I think you should also add that being a successful musician is extremely grueling and a lot of things started with uppers to stay up and on top on stage then downers to sleep and the cycle continues. And there are a lot of musicians that feel being high enhances their creativity - Charlie Parker 1946 - addicted to heroin, was an exceptional jazz musician and died at the age of 34. Jim Morrison of the Doors - had a death wish. Maybe James Dean encapsulated the culture when he said "live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse." We also don't know what demons these people were dealing with.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no one's definition of your life;
    Define Yourself
    -Robert Frost-

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When i abused alcohol and Xanax, my creativity flowed a lot more easily. Now I'm clean, I have trouble writing. It's still all in there and in my head, but I just can't get it out anymore. So being wasted helped to draw out a lot of emotions and magnified them. I rarely write songs/poetry now and when I do, it isn't good.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote WintersTale View Post
    Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin...I mean, come on! All these super talented people, and they're wrecking their lives with drugs?
    Bob Marley, Nick Drake, Elliott Smith - the list is endless!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ian Curtis

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Kurt Cobain
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I suppose I do drink a lot of coffee, and the creativity flows better when I'm manic.

I've had talks with my friend over this. He is an ambient musician, who has six BRILLIANT albums, that he has created. And he's not trained in any sense...he wasn't taught guitar or piano, like me. He just sits down at the organs and keyboards, and creates this beautiful music.

He is an advocate of weed, and he can't record without it. And listening to the stuff that comes out of it...man, I wouldn't want him to. I also think of all those 70's rock bands, like Yes, The Doors, and Pink Floyd, who created all that beautiful music when shooting LSD or smoking weed, and I'm not so cynical over drug abuse and creativity.

But...I mean...grape soda and cough syrup?...that is just plain disgusting. Who would drink that?!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I knew a guy who drank cough syrup because it had hallucigenic effects??? He called it robotripping???
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote whiteman View Post
    I knew a guy who drank cough syrup because it had hallucigenic effects??? He called it robotripping???
    Yea dextromethorphan hydrobromide (DXM)...pretty killer stuff. It's a cough suppressant but also a dissociative hallucinogen in high doses. Totally different from what our little hoodrat buddy lil wayne was doing though. He was using a codeine (also a cough suppressant) syrup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.