Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do you think of Anti-intellectualism?

What do you think of anti-intellectualism? Do you like it? Does it bother you?
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Personally anti-intellectualism disturbs me. Anti-intellectualism is what led to the Nazi's killing 13 million people. McCarthyism was Anti-intellectualism.
    I take anti-intellectualism personally because I had relatives who died in Norway during WWII, and I don't want something like that to happen again. I was on another site, you know the one? where anti-intellectualism was used to silence dissent, and I thought it was really disturbing.

[mod edit: as per advisory]
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Can you provide anti-intellectualism articles? I am not quite sure what it is.

When I think of anti-intellectualism, I think you're talking about a stupid jock who wouldn't open a book in his life, even if it had "SEX" written on it in big bold red letters. But not all jocks don't read, and not all nerds are smart, so I am not quite sure what you mean.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yea, Im not sure what it exactly iis either, so could you describe what it is in a short simple way?

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of intellectuals are snotty people with no imagination and can't consider that things could be different from what they heard from a 'smart sounding' news report or internet article

Of course I'm talking about overly intellectual people, I do believe we should use our intelligence and intellect sometimes instead of emotion, but I do also think emotion and subjective experience can lead to a great deal of knowledge as well

does that make any sense or am I not explaining myself very well =S
    “A Caterpie may change into a Butterfree, but the heart that beats inside it remains the same.” — Brock

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Chopin12 View Post
    Yea, Im not sure what it exactly iis either, so could you describe what it is in a short simple way?

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of intellectuals are snotty people with no imagination and can't consider that things could be different from what they heard from a 'smart sounding' news report or internet article

Of course I'm talking about overly intellectual people, I do believe we should use our intelligence and intellect sometimes instead of emotion, but I do also think emotion and subjective experience can lead to a great deal of knowledge as well

does that make any sense or am I not explaining myself very well =S
    What you wrote makes sense to me. What the Catholic church did to Galileo during the inquisition when he discovered the earth revolves around the sun and therefore the earth is not the center of the universe like it implies in the bible is an example of anti-intellectualism. Anti-intellectualism is silencing anything that doesn't support a groups beliefs. For example, I did not support a belief in the feminist group on the other site, and therefore, I was banned from the group.

[mod edit: as per advisory]
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote whiteman View Post
    What you wrote makes sense to me. What the Catholic church did to Galileo during the inquisition when he discovered the earth revolves around the sun and therefore the earth is not the center of the universe like it implies in the bible is an example of anti-intellectualism. Anti-intellectualism is silencing anything that doesn't support a groups beliefs. For example, I did not support a belief in the feminist group on the other site, and therefore, I was banned from the group.
    I know the other site has let me down too, but please let it go. I was apart of that feminist group on SAS, and it was not a place for debate. I understand why the person over it didn't make it a debate group, because that whole forum is a free-for-all with trolling and arguing, so there needed to be a safe place for the feminists to discuss their issues since they're commonly attacked and put down on there. Just because it isn't for debate does not mean it's anti-intellectual.
    “When you stop blaming others for where you are in life, that is when you can start to manifest your dream life!”
    ― Stephen Richards

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Advisory: There is no need to link anti-intellectualism to an important movement as the feminist movement. Also, rape victims are already under enough pressure as it is from the courts and media, who are more likely to blame them for the rape instead of the rapist, we shouldn't join them.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Thread Closed

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.