Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Brian Banks on 60 minutes?

Did anyone see the story on Brian Banks on 60 minutes??? What are your thoughts???

Brian Banks was a football player who was falsely accused of rape in highschool. He was once a highly recruited athlete and was considered a professional prospect, then he was accused of rape.

He went to prison and when he got out he was required to register as a sex offender. His, "victim" was awarded 1.5 million dollars. Then his, "victim" contacted him.

During there meeting she admitted he never raped her, unbeknownst to her the meeting was taped and he was aquitted of all charges. However, the women was never charged with a crime and she got to keep the 1.5 million dollars.

Thoughts???
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "I haven't read extensively about the rape in Steuebenville but it's always more complicated when it comes to teenage offenders. I think their punishment was relatively light but it can still be extended if they haven't shown improvement in their behaviour and haven't been rehabilitated adequately. Of course this brings up other issues within the criminal justice system of whether rehabilitation is emphasised enough. I'm not exactly sure why their names were released (aren't they still juveniles?) but their football careers have been effectively destroyed so that's something. I'm concerned that her peers didn't bother taking it seriously and just circulated photos and everything."

Talk about getting off lightly. Not only wasn't the women who accused Brian Banks of rape not punished, but she got to keep 1.5 million dollars. I think people who falsely accuse someone of rape should get the same sentence the alledged rapist got and once they get out of prison they should be required to register as someone who falsely accused someone of rape and they should be requirred to do this for the rest of their lives just like sex offenders are required to register as sex offenders for the rest of their lives.
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Talk about getting taken out of context!

should be required to register as someone who falsely accused someone of rape and they should be requirred to do this for the rest of their lives just like sex offenders are required to register as sex offenders for the rest of their lives.
    ^ this is a horrible idea. What if they are actually raped later on? No one would take them seriously if they are a registered as someone who falsely accused someone of rape.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They would deserve the extra scrutiny. Even Dr. Phil knows the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Coffee View Post
    Talk about getting taken out of context!

^ this is a horrible idea. What if they are actually raped later on? No one would take them seriously if they are a registered as someone who falsely accused someone of rape.
    I bet the same thing happens to sex offenders, who've done something as serious as urinating in public, everytime a child goes missing???
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote whiteman View Post
    I bet the same thing happens to sex offenders, who've done something as serious as urinating in public, everytime a child goes missing???
    No because if they are falsely accused and it is recognised as false, like in this case, their name would be taken off the list. Whereas if someone falsely accuses another person of rape and it's recognised as false, their name would be on the list forever.

Talking about Dr. Phil doesn't help anyone's case at all. He dabbles in pop psychology and is highly inaccurate and he has no place in psychology as a science. He just ruins it for everyone.

It is difficult enough for people to report rape when they know they will be under heavy scrutiny from prosecutors. Their sex lives are laid out for everyone to see. What were you wearing? What were you doing out so late at night? You must've been asking for it! Why would you go out so late at night wearing THAT? Were you drunk? You must've led them on. Did you kiss them? Obviously that's consent for sex!

And that's like 0.00001% of the ordeal rape victims have to go through. Imagine if someone is raped and the court finds the defendant not-guilty for whatever reason even if they ARE GUILTY, and that victim is then on the 'falsely accused someone of rape!' list forever?? Are they to be never taken seriously again? No one would believe them. Even though its prejudicial and has no place in the courtroom, things like this do come out thanks to the media and jurors are not immune from this.

It's a bad idea.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So do you think the women should be allowed to keep the 1.5 million dollars even though she admitted on tape she was never raped???

Do you think she should get off scotch-free???

Even though Brian is a man is he not a victim??? He went to jail. He had to register as a sex offender. He lost his career, and his chance to make millions. Even though he's a man isn't he still a victim???

Where is his justice???
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote whiteman View Post
    So do you think the women should be allowed to keep the 1.5 million dollars even though she admitted on tape she was never raped???

Do you think she should get off scotch-free???

Even though Brian is a man is he not a victim??? He went to jail. He had to register as a sex offender. He lost his career, and his chance to make millions. Even though he's a man isn't he still a victim???
    Of course not! The woman should pay back the 1.5m plus extra and she should be jailed for an appropriate amount of time, but no list making.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm glad you're reasonable and at least you believe she shouldn't be allowed to keep the 1.5m and she should serve some jailtime, but shouldn't people be warned that this is a dangerous person. Basically, she's a sexual predator, just like any other sexual predator??? She's at least as dangerous as someone caught urinating in public???
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember reading about this. Gosh.

The truth is that this happens way too often for it to be rational. The amount of men who are falsely accused of rape is just mindblowing. There needs to be more checks into whether it happened, before they put someone in prison for life...but then again, that could lead to less rapes being reported.

I don't know the answer to this. I really don't.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.