Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sick of the news..

It really sucks what happened in Boston and all, and my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected. At the same time, I hate having to hear about this stuff. It seems like any news anymore us bad news, and it makes me so freaking paranoid. I don't watch the news on TV and I turn the radio off when the news comes on because it bugs me that much. I really would rather just stay in the dark about everything. Maybe it's just time to crawl in a hole and hide and be ignorant of everything going on around me. Everything would be so much easier. Anyone else feel this same way?
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

-Dr Seuss

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    FlirtyFlirty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't want to live my life in a life of fear. And that is how I would feel if I didn't keep myself aware of events. I do watch the news from a variety of sources to hopefully get the best unbiased and factual information, and yes every news outlet has it's biases and I try to be a critical consumer and gather information like I said from a variety of sources and make up my own mind. You can never totally cut yourself off from these influences, and you don't want to sink into a life of fear and paranoia.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no one's definition of your life;
    Define Yourself
    -Robert Frost-

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never watch the news either, it's usually always bad news. Who got murdered, robbed, arrested, etc etc., I really don't want to hear it, most of the time. Once in a while, I'd just look at a news update on my cell phone and that's about it. The two things I like about news are just sports and weather report.
    “When you stop blaming others for where you are in life, that is when you can start to manifest your dream life!”
    ― Stephen Richards

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I avoid the news mostly without trying. I don't have a tv, I don't buy papers and the radio is for music. I heard about yesterday as it went to breaking news on my drive home from college - I like not knowing, yeah that's being stuck in a hole but reading a news paper makes me depressed.
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Someone told me once that the reason why everything in life seems so bad is because 95% of what's in the news needs to be newsworthy. That means drama, fear, horror, etc. The news doesn't cover all the good in the world or if it does, the articles are relegated to page 49. So if you watch the news constantly, you're bombarded with newsworthy stuff................meaning, all the bad stuff in life.

I read maybe a couple lines each day of the big stuff, but then I go about the rest of my day in la la land. I'm happily oblivious.

Uh, so if an asteroid is getting ready to strike the earth, will one of you let me know, ok? Thx
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I wait for email alerts with one sentence headlines.
    Ad nauseam news coverage is for the birds.

Coming up next, a panel discussion on why there are no new updates. Then, a former FBI agent describes the investigation process, and in the next half hour....corn dogs, the people who make them and the people who sell them.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Most of the time, it's the same thing over and over and over again. It looks like these guys were, "muslim extremists" The thing is I get where these guys are coming from. Don't get me wrong, what they did is wrong. killing civilains is wrong, especially children, but the United States is responsible for the deaths of over a hundred thousand civilains, tens of thousands of them children, not to mention torture, including torturing people to death, not to mention communities banning new mosques...I guess I'm not patriotic.I don't believe in torture. I believe killing children is always wrong. I believe killing civilains is wrong.

To tell you the truth, I was just born here. I would rather be somewhere else...
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I don't own a television, even the few tid bits of information I have seen on the internet feel like too much to me. Grosses me out all of it, we are so barbaric, human-monkey-animal-people-cavemen--things.

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I have actually developed acute stress reactions (like short term ptsd) from watching the news in the past. So sometimes it really is best to be left in the dark if knowing the truth is damaging your mental health. You need to function. You don't need to know the latest headlines. I basically stopped watching the news in 2010. I still hear bits of the news from people around me, but that can't be helped.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote whiteman View Post
    Most of the time, it's the same thing over and over and over again. It looks like these guys were, "muslim extremists" The thing is I get where these guys are coming from. Don't get me wrong, what they did is wrong. killing civilains is wrong, especially children, but the United States is responsible for the deaths of over a hundred thousand civilains, tens of thousands of them children, not to mention torture, including torturing people to death, not to mention communities banning new mosques...I guess I'm not patriotic.I don't believe in torture. I believe killing children is always wrong. I believe killing civilains is wrong.

To tell you the truth, I was just born here. I would rather be somewhere else...
    Yeah, this is kind of my attitude. I don't know why they decided to bomb Boston because I haven't seen yet. I'm not American, but I didn't think much of my countries "Well, let's just do what the Americans are doing" attitude they had to the Iraq war in particular. I could go on and on about why the Iraq war was wrong and illegal, but I'd bore you.

Seems to me though as if this whole thing was somewhat started not by the Americans. Muslim extremists declare war on America, and call for all Muslims to attack America. They are the enemy of Islam. The plan is to make America start a war with a Muslim country (by bombings, terrorism) , and then have more and more of the Muslim countries bonding together and fighting back and bankrupting the US.

Don't think that a lot of these acts of terror were totally against the US because of what the US have done in the middle east. Don't get me wrong, I don't think what you guys and what my country is doing in the US is right on any level, they seem to be a bit contradictory with there attitude to some Muslim states, and then there alliance with Saudi Arabia, I don't see why you guys are getting involved in Iran at all, and some of the stuff that happened in a US military prison over in the middle east was totally uncalled for. Some of these groups kill in the name of religion, and want a universal muslim state under one leader. They've bombed because we don't have the same culture as they do, and because we don't all follow sharia law. They use some BS excuse that we attacked them a thousand years ago in there own lives, and despite the fact that none of us were around then or involved, we're supposed to be held accountable.

I agree with you though, bombing a marathon where there's family watching and people who had nothing to do with the decision to invade Iraq/Afghanistan is totally wrong. We've got our marathon here tomorrow. Everyones on high alert.

I just hope nothing else happens to you guys over there. America just isn't having a good week at all.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Antidote View Post
    I have actually developed acute stress reactions (like short term ptsd) from watching the news in the past. So sometimes it really is best to be left in the dark if knowing the truth is damaging your mental health. You need to function. You don't need to know the latest headlines. I basically stopped watching the news in 2010. I still hear bits of the news from people around me, but that can't be helped.

I have gone into panic attacks and worried nonstop from watching the news. Not so much now, because I've learned to occupy my mind with other stuff, but this is why I still choose to stay in the dark. You never know when something else is going to hit that nerve and do that to you again. I would rather be happy and living for the moment than to be nervous and scared about what may or may not happen. I know that not many people like america and that that always poses as a threat, but I choose to just not think about it because honestly, there is nothing I can do about it. Plus, every other country is just as bad. Stuff happens to innocent people all the time because the choices of their country.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

-Dr Seuss

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    We all could be killed by a meteor tonight, so you might as well not worry too much about what might happen. That said, though, you might as well not do something obviously stupid, but you might as well embrace the danger in life because life's dangerous.

Personally I live my life according to Pagan Norse mythology. As a result, I believe I have to do something heroic on the field of battle to impress Odin to spend eternity in Vallhala. Therefore, I'm not afraid of great white sharks as a surfer in the North Pacific, like I used to be, but I am concerned I may not be heroic if I'm attacked by one. Rather than being afraid, I actually hope I'm attacked by a shark because that will be an opportunity to impress Odin.

The bigger your enemy, the better, because your more likely to impress Odin and spend eternity in Vallhala. Death isn't a bad thing. It's actually ideal. That is, as long as you're heroic before you die, because what Scandinavian wouldn't want to spend eternity in Vallhala?

That's what I believe, and it helps me to not be afraid...
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Edit: There was something I saw on the television last night, it was like a child psychologist who said that children develop symptoms of PTSD after watching tragic events on TV. Kind of confirms what some people here have said.

I don't own a television, though at the moment I am at my relative's house until Monday. The television reigns supreme in their house. The Boston crap is on and some of the coverage doesn't make sense. An autistic dude was interviewed who was in the marathon I guess and the dude was oblivious to the bombs, he was like "yay, I finished". My mother wanted to discuss the Boston thing with me....and I told her that I just wasn't interested in talking about it, but here I am writing about it. Sometimes there is no escape...

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    More Boston on my relatives TV.....all about explosions and then the fed agents making their own explosions....explosions against explosions...and recipricol maiming...and no speaking...unable to talk and throat has been damaged etc.etc. etc. etc.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.