Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    FlirtyFlirty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cooking, Recipes, Eating

I love to cook, love to eat, and I'm always on the look out for new and different recipes. Everything is on the table, simple to whatever. This recipe is a favorite at my house. It is super easy, put it all in the crock pot (sans rice) and wait. You don't have to serve over rice, use the meat however turns you on. I've used it in sandwiches, tortillas, wherever your imagination leads you.CROCK POT HONEY SESAME CHICKEN

YIELD: Serves 4-5

INGREDIENTS:

6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 4 chicken breasts
    Salt and pepper
    1/2 cup diced onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 cup honey
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    4 teaspoons cornstarch
    1/3 cup water
    2 packets minute rice, optional
    1/2 tablespoon (or more) sesame seeds
    3 scallions, chopped

DIRECTIONS:

Place chicken in Crock Pot and lightly season both sides with salt and pepper.
    In a medium bowl, combine onion, garlic, honey, ketchup, soy sauce, oil and red pepper flakes. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 3-4 hours, or high for 2 hours.
    Remove chicken to a cutting board, leaving sauce. Shred chicken into bite-sized pieces; set aside. Prepare rice according to package instructions.
    In a small bowl, dissolve 4 teaspoons cornstarch in 1/3 cup water; add to crock pot. Stir to combine with sauce. Cover and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes, or until slightly thickened.
    Add cooked rice to 4 plates, top with chicken and spoon sauce over top. Sprinkle evenly with sesame seeds and chopped scallions.
    Enjoy!

Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no one's definition of your life;
    Define Yourself
    -Robert Frost-

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Cajun Shrimp Etoufee

Love this thread! Thanks for posting it.

Cajun Shrimp Etoufee
    Recipe by yeaux-yeaux (Cindy)

I’m a Cajun from New Orleans. My culture lives in the kitchen. We cook, we eat, and we visit. Mostly all Cajun food takes lots of stirring and preparation. But it’s worth it. Family and friends sit in the kitchen talking. We spend around three to four hours at a time cooking and eating our wonderful meals. The matriarchs of a family teach the younger ones their “secret” recipes. This recipe has been handed down so many times that none of us can remember who started it. It’s always a hit and people want the recipe, but when they find out how much time it takes to stir, they cringe. They have to realize though, that it’s the mixture of the ingredients AND the visit with family and friends that makes Shrimp Etoufee so special.

Enjoy!

Ingredients:
    1 stick of butter
    1 tablespoon of Tony Cachere’s seasoning
    1 large bell pepper (coarsely chopped)
    1 large onion (coarsely chopped)
    4 stalks of celery (coarsely chopped)
    3 cans of Campbells cream of mushroom soup
    2 cans of Hunts diced tomatoes
    1 can of tomato sauce
    1 ½ pound of raw, peeled shrimp
    3 cups of white rice
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Add more Tony Cachere’s for a spicier taste.
    (Makes 8 servings)
    (Takes about 1 ½ hours to cook)

Cook in a sauce pan or pot at medium temperature. You’re going to have to stir most of the time, so pull up a chair, gather friends and family, and get ready to stand in one spot next to the stove for a long time.

Mix the seasoning, chopped bell pepper, onion, celery and butter into a large sauce pan or pot and cook on a medium heat until the vegetables are soft.

When the vegetables are soft, add the mushroom soup, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes. You have to stir this mixture every five minutes to keep the soup from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook at medium temperature for about 40 or 45 minutes.

After about 45 minutes, stir in the shrimp. Stir every five minutes for the next 30 to 40 minutes. The sauce should be a pinkish cream color.

Taste the sauce. If it needs more seasoning, add some. It usually does around this time.

Pour over white rice when finished and serve.

Make sure you have some French bread to sop up every drop of your etoufee.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Spinach Artichoke Dip

Spinach Artichoke Dip

2 1/2 cups fresh baby spinach, shredded
    1 teaspoon butter or olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup ricotta cheese
    1 pkg. cream cheese
    1 1/2 cups chopped artichoke hearts
    1 cup shredded provolone cheese
    1 roasted red pepper (garnish)
    salt and pepper, to taste
    paprika (optional)
    lemon juice or lemon pepper (optional)

In a skillet, sauté minced garlic 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Do not brown. Add washed shreds of baby spinach and sauté only until wilted but still a bright green (about 2 minutes) stirring to cook evenly. Remove pan from heat and stir in ricotta cheese and cream cheese, mixing well. Add artichoke hearts. Use artichoke hearts from a jar, drained well, or frozen if available; if using fresh artichoke hearts, steam until tender before using. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
    Spread mixture in a shallow baking dish and sprinkle with a thin layer of shredded provolone cheese. Garnish with a light sprinkling of paprika across the center for decoration.

Set baking dish on the center shelf of the oven and set oven to broil. Bake until cheese has melted and top is bubbly with lightly browned edges. Remove and allow to cool. Variation: Sprinkle with lemon pepper and/or lemon juice before adding the layer of cheese for an extra zesty flavor.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Spinach Bread

• Spinach bread

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 1 clove garlic, minced
    • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    • 1 to taste salt and pepper to taste
    • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    • garlic powder to taste
    • 1 (10 ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust dough
    • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
    2. Heat olive oil in a skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until soft, about two minutes. Add spinach and cook until liquid has evaporated. Stir in salt, pepper, Parmesan and garlic powder. Remove from heat and let cool.
    3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pizza crust into a 10x14 inch rectangle. Spread spinach mixture and mozzarella cheese on top of dough. Starting from on end, roll up the crust to make one large loaf. Pinch seam to seal. Place loaf onto prepared baking sheet.
    4. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like food. I'll give this a shot. This recipe I have no measurements for. I call it quick yummy roasted potatoes.
    You will need the following: a cake pan or casserole dish that can withstand high heat, olive oil, some potatoes, some garlic cloves, sea or kosher salt, black pepper, dried rosemary, and lemon juice is optional.
    The baking pan has to be able to withstand 500 degrees F for this recipe to work. So, any kind of nonstick coated pan won't work. I have found that lowering the heat and leaving in the potatoes longer just burns the potatoes. Also, you don't get as good of a crispy outside as you do with the higher heat. As for the potatoes, I normally use white or gold. I'm sure you can use any kind you want though. I guess you could use table salt for this, but I like to chew on the big chunks of hypertension. Plus, kosher salt tastes better. So, on to the actual recipe!
    Heat the oven to 500 F. Cut up as many potatoes as you desire, as long they can all fit in the pan. Peel the garlic and slightly smash with a knife. When the oven is ready, cover the bottom of the pan with a layer of olive oil. Put this (pan with only oil) in the oven for three minutes. No longer! The pan will smoke excessively if you do. Now, this is the most delicate part. Take your cut potatoes and put them in the pan. The pan will snap, crackle, pop. Some oil may hit you if you are close. It will hurt. Now take the smashed garlic and throw that in as well. Sprinkle the salt, pepper, and rosemary on top. Now, take some kind of stirring utensil and toss everything in the pan as gently as possible. You want to make sure that the potatoes get evenly coated with olive oil. If you feel they aren't after tossing, then if you have some olive oil spray available use that on top. Now put the pan back in the oven and bake for a total of 35 minutes. I like to take the pan out at 20 minutes and turn everything over, but that is entirely up to you. When the potatoes are done, you will probably notice the garlic has burned. I usually toss the garlic because I only use it for the flavor and aroma, but you could chop these guys up and eat them if you are into that. I put my potatoes on a plate with a flat depression on the bottom because I like to pour some lemon juice on top. The juice then settles on the bottom, and it makes for a good dipping.
    This is much more verbose than I thought it would be. I swear this recipe is much easier than it looks. The longest part is waiting for them in the oven.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    FlirtyFlirty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    These all sound soooo good. Chantabella - where do you get Tony Cachere's seasoning, I'll have to look that up. @mightypillow - you think a cast iron pan would work best? I have a recipe that is similar but you also add sliced sweet onions. And I am right there with you using sea salt, I love the texture and taste. Most of my recipes I don't use measurements any more, if someone wants the recipe I usually have to make it and write down the amounts.

I can see that more gym workouts are in store for me.
    Define Yourself
    -Robert Frost-

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've only ever used a heavy metal pan. I think it is made of aluminum. Thinner pans I'm afraid to use because of it warping. Hot oil flying everywhere!
    I never thought of using a cast iron pan before. I have to try this when I go home! Unfortunately, I have no cast iron at my disposal right now. I'm sure it will work, but I would lower the temperature some because cast irons hold their heat better. Maybe 450-475 F? I'm not good with temperatures. I'm guessing, haha. I have used shallots in place of garlic before; those are also delicious.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Tinkerbell View Post
    These all sound soooo good. Chantabella - where do you get Tony Cachere's seasoning, I'll have to look that up. @mightypillow - you think a cast iron pan would work best? I have a recipe that is similar but you also add sliced sweet onions. And I am right there with you using sea salt, I love the texture and taste. Most of my recipes I don't use measurements any more, if someone wants the recipe I usually have to make it and write down the amounts.

I can see that more gym workouts are in store for me.
    Tony Cacheres is usually with the spices in a regular grocery store. We have it in Texas, but if you can't get it where you are, just google it or go to Amazon. It looks like Walmart has it too or you can just go to the website http://http://www.tonychachere.com/ I put the stuff on everything. That's one of the secrets of Cajun cooking.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    FlirtyFlirty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks you two. Will post reviews on my success.
    Define Yourself
    -Robert Frost-

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have another staple of mine I'd like to share. Cheesy creamed spinach! I have measurements for this one:
    1 10 oz bag of spinach - I normally use fresh spinach, but frozen spinach works too. I'm not so sure about spinach that has been cooked previously.
    1/3 cup of heavy cream - I've subbed light cream and half and half before. If you use half and half though I'd add a bit more.
    1 tbsp of butter - I use unsalted.
    2 cloves of garlic - I peel and chop. If I'm in a lazy mood I'll use the press. The press takes away the lovely aroma though.
    2 slices of mozzarella cheese - My slices aren't too thin. I love cheese. Provolone works here, too.
    1 tbsp of grated Parmesan - Actually come to think of it, the two cheeses are completely optional. I just love cheese.
    Salt and pepper as desired
    Serves? I'd say this serves one, because I can eat this helping in 20 seconds.

Okay so you chop up all the spinach roughly. I like to keep the stems in. Heat up a nice size skillet over medium high heat. Put the spinach in there and cook it while stirring constantly. It should be very steamy. Once the spinach is wilted down, it is time to squeeze the water out. You can use a sieve and spoon, but I use this dish rag. It used to be white, now it is a off white green. If you use a dish rag, don't squeeze it immediately because the spinach is damn hot. So after squeezing, leave the spinach aside for now. Take the butter and throw it into the same skillet you used before over medium heat. Once it melts throw in the garlic. Cook that until you start to smell the garlicky goodness. I like my garlic slightly brown. Now throw the spinach back in, and if you squeezed the spinach enough earlier that spinach should suck in that butter like a vacuum. Add the heavy cream, let the spinach absorb some, then break up the cheese with your hands and throw that in too. Let the cheese melt, then add salt and pepper if you wish. Comfort food!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    FlirtyFlirty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here is another of my favorites.

Pizza Muffins
    1 -10 oz tube of refrigerator pizza dough
    Small jar of pizza sauce
    Mozzarella Cheese - or whatever favorite
    Favorite toppings

Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
    Press out pizza dough into a rectangle, about the size of a standard cookie sheet.
    Spread 1/2 jar of pizza sauce
    Add toppings of your choice.
    Sprinkle with cheese.
    Cut dough in half.
    Roll each section, ie cinnamon rolls.
    Cut into 1" sections and place in greased muffin tin, cut side up.
    Sprinkle a little cheese on top.
    Bake for approx. 12 minutes.
    Define Yourself
    -Robert Frost-

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Tinkerbell View Post
    CROCK POT HONEY SESAME CHICKEN

YIELD: Serves 4-5

INGREDIENTS:

6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 4 chicken breasts
    Salt and pepper
    1/2 cup diced onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 cup honey
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    4 teaspoons cornstarch
    1/3 cup water
    2 packets minute rice, optional
    1/2 tablespoon (or more) sesame seeds
    3 scallions, chopped

DIRECTIONS:

Place chicken in Crock Pot and lightly season both sides with salt and pepper.
    In a medium bowl, combine onion, garlic, honey, ketchup, soy sauce, oil and red pepper flakes. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 3-4 hours, or high for 2 hours.
    Remove chicken to a cutting board, leaving sauce. Shred chicken into bite-sized pieces; set aside. Prepare rice according to package instructions.
    In a small bowl, dissolve 4 teaspoons cornstarch in 1/3 cup water; add to crock pot. Stir to combine with sauce. Cover and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes, or until slightly thickened.
    Add cooked rice to 4 plates, top with chicken and spoon sauce over top. Sprinkle evenly with sesame seeds and chopped scallions.
    Enjoy!

I tried this recipe a few days ago. It was delicious! It smelled so good, too.
    I had all of the ingredients on hand except for the sesame seeds and scallions.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    FlirtyFlirty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote mightypillow View Post
    I tried this recipe a few days ago. It was delicious! It smelled so good, too.
    I had all of the ingredients on hand except for the sesame seeds and scallions.
    I know isn't it the best, and so many different uses. The sesame seeds and scallions are just to make it look pretty. Glad you liked it.
    Define Yourself
    -Robert Frost-

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is a great thread. I started a similar one on SAS years ago that is pinned to the top of General Discussion. I hope they pin this one!!

Here is a GREAT recipe and it's good for you too!! A staple in my house!!

SWEET AND NUTTY STIR FRY

Serves 4

Ingredients

Pasta
    4 ounces dried multigrain vermicelli or spaghetti, broken in half
    2 teaspoons curry powder

Sauce
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons soy sauce (lowest sodium available)
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1/3 cup fresh orange juice
    2 teaspoons grated orange zest

Stir-Fry
    1 teaspoon canola or corn oil
    1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
    2 cups bite-size broccoli florets (about 5 ounces)
    1 cup thinly sliced (not shredded) red cabbage
    1 cup matchstick-size carrot pieces
    1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, dry-roasted

Cooking Instructions

Prepare the pasta using the package directions, omitting the salt and oil and adding the curry powder. Drain well in a colander.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients except the orange zest, stirring until the cornstarch is completely dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in the orange zest. Set aside.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the onion for 1 minute. Stir in the broccoli, cabbage, and carrots. Cook for 4 minutes, or until just tender-crisp, stirring frequently.

Transfer the pasta to a serving platter. Top with the broccoli mixture. Pour the sauce over all. Sprinkle with the peanuts.

Nutritional Analysis
    Per serving
    Calories Per Serving
    Total Fat
    11.5 g
    Saturated Fat
    1.5 g
    Trans Fat
    0.0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat
    4.0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat
    5.5 g
    Cholesterol
    0 mg
    Sodium
    261 mg
    Carbohydrates
    44 g
    "You can never really know a person and if you think you can, you're living in a fucking dream world!" David Fisher, Six Feet Under

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^^Of course you can add chicken to it if you like, I do that but use cubed boneless, skinless breast. You could always do it "Panda Express" Style and bread and fry the chicken but that would greatly alter the nutritional value. This is great without that!!!
    "You can never really know a person and if you think you can, you're living in a fucking dream world!" David Fisher, Six Feet Under

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.