Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Public transportation?

Not sure if this is the right board for it, but i'm guessing a lot of people on this site have trouble taking public transportation much like I do. I don't drive so the few times i do have to go out i'm forced to take the bus and it can be very stressful. I went out to vote today but since no one was around to take it i had to take the bus and nearly had a panic attack due to all the people onboard. I felt sick during the entire journey and refused to take the bus back afterwards so I phoned someone to take me home. Voting itself was already making me anxious and this certainly didn't help my mood at all. :/

How do people with mental illness cope with public transit?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hear ya! I'm not terribly fond of public transit as well, especially the crowded subways. I don't like driving either, so I usually have someone chauffeur me around the few times I do go out. It's hard to feel comfortable when surrounded by so many people who are complete strangers.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    This is why I drive

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm too anxious to learn how to drive

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I hate driving just slightly more then taking public transport...me and driving do not get along =/

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Walking for me is the better option.

Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I totaled my car a couple of years back and now must rely solely on the public bus for transport. It's a heart pounding, fear inducing experience every time. I always wear headphones so no one tries to talk to me. But there was one occasion where Someone tapped me on the shoulder to ask if they could sit next to me (full bus) I think I jumped put of my seat. Oh and riding at night is really bad because the lights inside the bus reflect on the windows so you can't avoid looking at people by looking out the windows because it's a freakin' mirror
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I used to dislike public transit but now I've gotten used to it since it's the easiest way to commute in a big city such as Toronto. I've even gotten to riding on coach alone across the border from Toronto to Detroit. I used to hate buses, but they've become a necessary evil so I've learned to put up with it.

Driving, on the other hand, is something I still need to get used to. Don't have a license yet. xD

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I used to be at least somewhat OK with buses, but then circumstance forced me to confront my past and I could force myself to do it no longer. Once I get on the bus i'm fine it's the waiting that does my head in. I'll be buying a motorcycle hopefully within the month

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I actually like mass transit as long as it's not crazy busy--the obsessive part of my brain enjoys things like buses and trains and routes and such. I'd say taking transit irritates me more than it makes me anxious.

When I am anxious on transit (it usually happens if I'm stuck on a train or subway and can't get off), I distract myself with calming music of some kind. Aphex Twin has brought me back from the brink of a panic attack more than once.

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote pita View Post
    I actually like mass transit as long as it's not crazy busy--the obsessive part of my brain enjoys things like buses and trains and routes and such. I'd say taking transit irritates me more than it makes me anxious.

When I am anxious on transit (it usually happens if I'm stuck on a train or subway and can't get off), I distract myself with calming music of some kind. Aphex Twin has brought me back from the brink of a panic attack more than once.
    Another Aphex fan!

Being on public transit can be okay if its not crowded. I hate it when the bus is packed and I have to grab on to a railing...that is a situation I really dont like being in =/

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Yellow View Post
    How do people with mental illness cope with public transit?
    I quite like taking public transport, I find it relaxing. In fact, riding the train was a very fun time when I was younger.

Total Eclipse's Avatar Happy Sparkles and Coffee
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Buses = no,no. I feel dizzy and nauseous on them.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Get on, plug in my IPod headphones, turn them right up to drown everyone out.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Depends on where you live. I catch the 0 down from my house. I can guarantee you at least four of these things will happen on the bus. This is during the day.
    a.) Usually there are about three to four homeless drunks and tweakers on the bus.
    b.) Some drunk prick will start a verbal argument with anyone who is close to him. Usually threats of getting of at the next stop to go blows.
    c.) A teenage mother with two, maybe three kids, usually one on a stroller will have to practically push past the people in front to find a proper place to sit and make room for the stroller
    d.) Usually the bus teams with the smell of alcohol and of people who stink from the streets and no shower or bath.
    e.) Often it becomes standing room only because the bus has no more seats.
    f.) The back of the bus is usually where people talk about buying and selling various drugs.
    And this is midday not midnight. Let me tell you it's a wonderful ride. A middle aged lady cannot even sit on the bus and read a book without some sort of commotion around.
    Thats the 0 line that takes me into the heart of Denver. So, yeah there are pockets in areas, where the ride is pretty chill. But if you want to get across town going west to east or south to north. It just gets worse at each stop.
    "There is a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in."- Leonard Cohen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.