Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote metamorphosis View Post
    Good, I just didn't want it to sound like I was up on a rickety old soap box preaching or something I am just trying to give a balanced view, in my humble opinion. I am actually on some meds that have side effects. But it's the trade off, I have to take to keep myself sane and functioning!
    Yeah, same here. Sucks, gotta hate these meds, but still...Sorry, guess I didn't come across well. I know you're not a preaching soap box, and I've seen you on here and on the place we shall not name. I know some meds are dangerous, but still, there's a lot of threads on the why-my-life-sucks-and-I-have-worse-SA-than-you-because-you-can-have-sex-and-youre-all-whores site that are just making me face palm a bit tonight.

Really is a shock when you look at that place immeadiatley after being here. =/
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^
    That's one reason why I hang in the meds section over there! Besides the fact that I find psychopharmacology fascinating and also healing through nutrition, exercise, and other naturopathic ways!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    ^
    That's one reason why I hang in the meds section over there! Besides the fact that I find psychopharmacology fascinating and also healing through nutrition, exercise, and other naturopathic ways!
    Yer, I'm beginning to become interested in it too. Funny how I suddenly became interested in all of this when I started bercomming mentally ill...sigh...
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    Yer, I'm beginning to become interested in it too. Funny how I suddenly became interested in all of this when I started bercomming mentally ill...sigh...
    Coincidence, I think not.
    That's why I became interested. If I was going to take these medications;Then I wanted to learn about them and of course that opens a pandora's box into how our brains (neurons, cells, neurotransmitters etc)work
    Look at these facts:
    From wiki-
    One estimate puts the human brain at about 100 billion (1011) neurons and 100 trillion (1014) synapses.[26] A lower 2012 estimate is 86 billion neurons, of which 16.3 billion are in the cerebral cortex, and 69 billion in the cerebellum.

There are also numerous neurotransmitters in the brain. That work in a very complex way. Sending signals to all of those neurons.
    Scientists have managed to identify over 100 neurotransmitters in the human brain alone, but evidence suggests we have significantly more than this number. An unfortunate aspect of not being able to identify all neurotransmitter cells is that researchers, especially those developing medications to act on specific messenger cells, can’t always determine why or how medications work or fail to work.
    A few important ones, dealing with psychiatric conditions include, from wiki:

Quote:
    The effects of a neurotransmitter system depend on the connections of the neurons that use the transmitter, and the chemical properties of the receptors that the transmitter binds to.
    Here are a few examples of important neurotransmitter actions:
    - Glutamate is used at the great majority of fast excitatory synapses in the brain and spinal cord. It is also used at most synapses that are "modifiable", i.e. capable of increasing or decreasing in strength. Excess glutamate can overstimulate the brain and causes seizures.[citation needed] Modifiable synapses are thought to be the main memory-storage elements in the brain. Excessive glutamate release can lead to excitotoxicity causing cell death.
    -GABA is used at the great majority of fast inhibitory synapses in virtually every part of the brain. Many sedative/tranquilizing drugs act by enhancing the effects of GABA. Correspondingly glycine is the inhibitory transmitter in the spinal cord.
    - Acetylcholine is distinguished as the transmitter at the neuromuscular junction connecting motor nerves to muscles. The paralytic arrow-poison curare acts by blocking transmission at these synapses. Acetylcholine also operates in many regions of the brain, but using different types of receptors, including nicotinic and muscarinic receptors.[9]
    - Dopamine has a number of important functions in the brain; this includes regulation of motor behavior, pleasures related to motivation and also emotional arousal. It plays a critical role in the reward system; people with Parkinson's disease have been linked to low levels of dopamine and people with schizophrenia have been linked to high levels of dopamine.[10]
    - Serotonin is a monoamine neurotransmitter. Most is produced by and found in the intestine (approximately 90, and the remainder in central nervous system neurons. It functions to regulate appetite, sleep, memory and learning, temperature, mood, behaviour, muscle contraction, and function of the cardiovascular system and endocrine system. It is speculated to have a role in depression, as some depressed patients are seen to have lower concentrations of metabolites of serotonin in their cerebrospinal fluid and brain tissue.[11]
    - Substance P is an undecapeptide responsible for transmission of pain from certain sensory neurons to the central nervous system. It also aids in controlling relaxation of the vasculature and lowering blood pressure through the release of nitric oxide.[12]
    - Opioid peptides are neurotransmitters that act within pain pathways and the emotional centers of the brain; some of them are analgesics and elicit pleasure or euphoria.[13]
    Neurons expressing certain types of neurotransmitters sometimes form distinct systems, where activation of the system affects large volumes of the brain, called volume transmission. Major neurotransmitter systems include the noradrenaline (norepinephrine) system, the dopamine system, the serotonin system and the cholinergic system.
    Drugs targeting the neurotransmitter of such systems affect the whole system; this fact explains the complexity of action of some drugs.

So yeah, it's pretty crazy up there and sometimes the little monkeys in our brains start to work overtime!!!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Friend of mine is a chef she catered a retreat for one of those big drug companies like Merk. She said those people are just the worst slime-balls you ever met. There was a funny movie that alludes to this....gosh I need to find it.

It's 100% money driven. ....not driven out of the desire to heal people.

There is a difference between the companies asking "how can we heal these people" versus "how can we make money off of this problem"

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82M0MK20120323

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    BTW long term SSRI use can cause frontal lobe apathy. Symptoms include anhedonia and dysphoria, but I do not know the exact %. I would have to pubmed it and lately I have not been in the research mood.
    Regarding SSRIs and frontal lobe apathy, it's due to serotonin inhibiting norepinephrine and dopamine release in the frontal cortex AFAIK. It's not a permanent effect ie: it will return to normal when the patient stops the SSRI, however it is one of those side effects which unfortunately sometimes needs an add-on to remedy it. It's less common with Fluoxetine and SNRIs because they have mechanisms which revere this effect to a partial extent. I covered it in a bit more depth here:http://anxietyspace.com/forums/showt...ts-Perspective

pam's Avatar needs more cowbell
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Also, Peter Breggin is a narrow minded quack.
    Is name-calling really necessary?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...talin/1983369/

A different kind of article about brain-drugs.

It's interesting to me, the pressure to do good in school for kids, the pressure to appear happy all the time and perform for adults.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Misssy View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...talin/1983369/

A different kind of article about brain-drugs.

It's interesting to me, the pressure to do good in school for kids, the pressure to appear happy all the time and perform for adults.
    Seems to be a lot of pressure from some parents for kids to well. It's interesting how many parents you come across that expect nothing less than Straight A's at school, and if that doesn't happy, they blame it on the fact that the child is not working hard enough.

Ritalin in particular is a drug that has a reputation. There seems to be a debate on it. This guy here is saying that it's okay to use it if you don't have ADHD or aren't prescribed it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8106957.stm

And then there's this which brings on the connection between Ritalin and another drug, Cocaine.

Or this place here that also agrees that Ritalin is being abused.

http://hyperfast.homestead.com/speed.html

Seems it not just to do well in school that Ritalin can be abused with. It's also being used as a recreational drug, similar to some of those that are illegal, and one thats probably more easily available that say, Cocaine, and presumed safe because it's a prescription drug.

Now I'm not saying it is dangerous. But the difference is, someone taking it to treat ADHD is doing it under the supervision of a doctor, who will be able to tell them what dose to take, how to take it, will be able to monitor side effects and take them off ritalin if that's what it comes to. Taking it without medical supervision...well, it's only available on prescription for a reason. It could be dangerous taking whatever dose without any idea whatsoever what that drug does and how it works and what not to do when taking it.

Edit-Just gonna add this that I found here. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7684963.stm

"[These drugs] put a rush of adrenalin into the blood. Your pulse rate and blood pressure increase and your pupils dilate," she says."There can be potentially very dangerous physical side effects if you have an underlying cardiac disorder. The effects could lead to a heart attack or similar."
    When the drugs are prescribed, a doctor usually carries out checks on a patient's blood pressure and susceptibility to side effects and a careful risk verses benefit calculation is made, says Dr Maycock. But for the students, none of these checks are performed and the taker may not know that they are at risk.
    "If you had a hidden aneurysm in your brain, it could blow it apart. People never think that they are the ones at risk."
    In the short term, Ritalin users can suffer from an array of side effects - anxiety, insomnia, loss of appetite, irritability and headaches and all common. The long-term effects of the drug are largely unknown.
    Although I would like to say on the last article I posted, this is an error. Modafinal is not an amphetamine, but an acetimide. So yeah. Is a mistake on there.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.