CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Orange is the new black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I recently started watching Resident Alien. I thought the first season was pretty good but the second season has been a bit iffy so far. I just finished watching episode 3 of season 2. Putting thoughts under spoiler tag.

Spoiler: I don't remember if it was mentioned previously that he could erase people's minds but that seemed a bit too easy and like a deus ex machina. Perhaps this will come back to bite him later though.

Also generally put off by the increasing culture war messages being shoved in. I could mostly overlook it when it's the odd comment here and there but pretty much the whole of episode 3 of season 2 was feminist themed and it had similar issues in how it was handled to a lot of TV writing I've noticed over the past few years. This was also a bit irritating in the new Roswell reboot though in that case there were also a bunch of other issues with the show that made it hard to get past the first four episodes, though I managed it since I really love the concept and aesthetic of Roswell, deserts and aliens but then drifted away later on anyway (might go back at some point dunno.) The writing on this show is better than Roswell though so this episode was mostly a big disappointment and yet I think they could have done something more interesting with gender if they wanted to and Harry inhabiting a different body.

I think another thing that irks me is that 'Harry' is an alien and he's specifically said to Asta already that his species does not have gender like Humans. She frequently expects an awful lot from him and for him to be essentially Human. I realise the point of the show is him learning and growing in a Human direction but since she found out it seems a bit one sided. I'd understand if she didn't want to talk to him because he killed a guy but she seemed to get over that quickly and then continued to hang out with him. Perhaps this is more a personal idiosyncrasy/preference of mine here though because I personally enjoy learning about aliens and their differences and even as a kid I preferred the little mermaid 2 because why would you want to not be a mermaid Ariel? (I was very into mermaids at the time and wanted to be able to develop a tail and swim under water when I entered the sea.) You know what I mean. Spock > Kirk.

Then of course with the obnoxious direction of this episode she's just like 'shut up and listen to women' (that's an actual quote lol towards the end of the episode,) and she talks to him like he's a Human male but this is still a show about an alien who comes from a species without gender. What was even the point of bringing that plot point up if you do an episode like this and just force him into a male role? It's a superficial thing you just threw out there but he's in a Human male body so he's just a guy now. I think in one episode makes a comment about 'for an alien you're acting just like a Human male' or something. Some comment where the sentiment was kind of 'guess males everywhere are the same' First of all what is that? And then yeah some of that would just be the writers over anthropomorphising like they always do with aliens, and kind of have to for the sake of this story. It's far from the worst offender really. I dunno maybe I should stfu and read The Left Hand of Darkness (I don't really read.)

Also she kept berating him for making decisions on how to fix his device to contact his planet to stop his species destroying Earth and using everything he came up with as some kind of metaphor involving consent but it just feels weak when he's already killed a guy and she got over that weirdly quickly and he's trying to save the planet right now. Is this really the time or maybe show for this entire episode? It's not a sitcom lol you have a lot of plot to be doing an entire episode and perhaps it could be done if it was done more intelligently but not like this. I'm not buying that.

Also all that considered it was pretty ironic that for some reason after he took on the form of a newly introduced female character when you could see him in alien form he still had sizeable breasts. He doesn't have breasts like a Human female in his natural form so really he should have been flat chested and just wearing her clothes (like how it is when Max can see him in alien form while he's in Harry's body.) I get why they did it because they wanted to retain some clear visual sign that it's a FEMALE body he's inhabiting, especially with the sexual harassment that followed. Honestly though just reminded me of boob armour memes.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with any of the messages or end goals I just find the way they always try to address these topics obnoxious. There's also a bunch of moral handholding and it's patronising.

There are also a few other characters who are consistently used as an outlet for various messages about gender roles. It's always awkward and obvious to me when they're trying to make a statement. I think there should be a way to write these characters where it's not.

Not keen on how they've written Sahar really. She really is a Mary Sue which is unfortunate.

There's this one married couple. He likes making candles (this is a point that apparently needs defending a bunch of times and nobody likes his cute candles even though that's a bit like kicking a kitten,) he's not very assertive (later we learn this started young,) she's a bit bossy tells him not to talk about his candles at a dinner party, they struggle to navigate the dynamic of their relationship a few times it's a little excruciating to watch at points, suddenly they're into bdsm because of a violent encounter they had with agents breaking into their house (so it's OK I guess that he likes making candles and struggles with being assertive and gets called snowflake by people, because he's into bdsm?) I feel like suddenly all their previous issues just got replaced by experimental sex as if that's how it works but maybe that will get addressed eventually. The bdsm and kink stuff comes up in pretty much every scene they're in together after that point and it seems to be kind of taking over their life like he's trying to film some video about the town for work and somehow photos they decided to take of their antics and put up on the cloud are mixed in.

Also I think if you really like someone or love someone in this case they're a married couple.. You'll appreciate them expressing passion even if it's something you're not interested in.

But yeah anyway in spite of all that and how much I disliked that episode, I have mostly enjoyed the show. :') And it was better than I was expecting from a syfy channel show. Also like the jellyfish connection.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    The IT Crowd
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    I'm in season two of Billions. Season one was absolutely brilliant, I really appreciate that they 1) don't spell things out for the audience, there is a lot that you need to work out based on hints; 2) have a very tight script and pack lots into an episode, they could have easily watered it down for seasons on end. Season two is still very good but like season 3 of Succession, it's become darker and lost some of its humour. I can put up with it short-term but I hope it lightens up in S3.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    The Expanse. Came across it on Prime a few days ago. Don't usually watch sci-fi stuff. Never been able to get into Star Trek. But surprisingly, I am liking this.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    CURRENTLY watching Better Call Saul, aka one of the best shows in television history

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Stranger things absolutely love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.