Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Joker View Post
    Nikita
    Oh my god I LOVE Nikita. All of the ass-kicking and spying and general awesomeness, and it really doesn't hurt that she's crazy attractive. Also I heard she does her own stunts and fights. I don't know if that's true but if it is, that's pretty badass.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Coffee View Post
    Oh my god I LOVE Nikita.
    Thanks for the excellent recommendation Currently having a Nikita marathon, up to S2E18 so far, very cool, although I'm quickly running out of episodes!

Quote Coffee View Post
    Also I heard she does her own stunts and fights. I don't know if that's true but if it is, that's pretty badass.
    That is very badass.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alfred Hitchcock Presents

distancing's Avatar Sir Lurksalot
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote chantellabella View Post
    I'm always working when my favorite shows are on, so I just wait till the season is over and get the dvd. I've been watching all 5 seasons of Babylon 5 (one of my favorite TV series of all time).
    Same. I almost always seem to get into tv shows after they've finished airing. Way more convenient that way, I think. Babylon 5 is great! Though I'm still just barely into the show, since I've only been watching [on the WB's site] sporadically.

Recently started on Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote bezoomny View Post
    Same. I almost always seem to get into tv shows after they've finished airing. Way more convenient that way, I think. Babylon 5 is great! Though I'm still just barely into the show, since I've only been watching [on the WB's site] sporadically.

Recently started on Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad.
    What's great about watching the episodes of Babylon 5 back to back, is that the plot is fresh. There's so much intrigue and plot twists that when I saw it years ago on TV, I missed a ton of plot twists. I just love Garibaldi and Ivanova. Not sure if I spelled their names right. If ever you have any questions about the plot, I'm there for you. Watching all the episodes and seasons in a one month marathon has been fun.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Star Trek: The Next Generation

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    a rarity.......SportsCenter on ESPN.

distancing's Avatar Sir Lurksalot
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote chantellabella View Post
    What's great about watching the episodes of Babylon 5 back to back, is that the plot is fresh. There's so much intrigue and plot twists that when I saw it years ago on TV, I missed a ton of plot twists. I just love Garibaldi and Ivanova. Not sure if I spelled their names right. If ever you have any questions about the plot, I'm there for you. Watching all the episodes and seasons in a one month marathon has been fun.
    Thanks! Yeah, one of the things I love about it is the complexity of the plot and characters. Definitely pretty revolutionary for a sci-fi series at that time. I like most of the characters, but I think my favorites so far are Ivanova and G'Kar.

Last show watched: more Game of Thrones.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    All three serous of "United States of Tara"
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote bezoomny View Post
    Thanks! Yeah, one of the things I love about it is the complexity of the plot and characters. Definitely pretty revolutionary for a sci-fi series at that time. I like most of the characters, but I think my favorites so far are Ivanova and G'Kar.

Last show watched: more Game of Thrones.
    I just finished all five seasons. I feel so sad now to see it end. The character plots are so amazing.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote lasair View Post
    All three serous of "United States of Tara"
    Can I tell you something about that show? I have DID. The doctor who was the "expert information" on the show was Colin Ross. The first time I saw that show (before it was aired) I was in a seminar on DID. He and his colleagues (one being my therapist) wanted an integrated patient to talk to others about her journey. I walked out in the first 5 minutes of the show and only came back when it was over. What offended me was how the mother switched alters right in front of her kids.

My mother had DID (assumed but never diagnosed). She comes from a highly abusive family and I could list all her personalities if I had to..........scary mother, confused mother, religious fanatic mother, sweet mother (only in front of her co-workers), angry mother, jealous mother, abusive mother, sadistic mother, etc. She was way out there.

I know what it was like to have a switching mother. Very scary. I never knew who she would be on any given hour. My entire day was dedicated to figuring out what mother was talking to me and dealing with her in that state.

I have DID and have had it since 5 years old. I saw my alters on the outside, but I was also capable of switching. One alter was dutiful, one got the brunt of abuse, one had to put up an "everything's ok" persona in school, etc. I had some control over who came out when, in order to protect myself.

When I started to have kids, I still switched, but I was able to control it (somewhat). I never switched in front of my kids. Never. I never lost time in front of them because doing so would put them in danger. What would happen if a 5 year old came out and the house caught on fire? In other words, even though this is a defense mechanism, the need to protect my kids over rode it every time. Even when a crisis happened.

I knew a woman with DID who would switch in front of her kids. She blatantly would announce who was "out" and they were expected to deal with it. When she announced who was out, I would watch her kids faces. They were weary of taking care of a 5 year old, or a 9 year old. In my opinion, they were getting more and more damaged each time she did it. I was furious that she would hurt her kids that way and expect them to deal with her problem. Just like my mother expected me to deal with hers. I eventually left the friendship because I could no longer watch her hurt her kids.

When I saw Tara in the show switch in front of her kids and family and they were calmly discussing "who is this now?" I couldn't take it. I confronted Dr. Ross the next day when I went to see my therapist. I told him that healthy DID mothers do NOT disclose that they even have DID to their kids much less switch in front of them. I told him that this show was showing DID mothers as people who were irresponsible and people who made their children take care of their mother's needs.

He agreed with me that the show did portray the mother as making it her kid's problem and said that even though he guided them about what DID was about, Showtime just put things in that they thought would sensationalize the show better. In other words, they chose to make us irresponsible and crazy. It just got more ratings. So I have always boycotted that show because Showtime has done an injustice to people with DID. It is not accurate and even the doctor who gave them guidance agrees.

It's shows like that, that do more damage to people with DID than good. It's not accurate. It's hurtful. Much like that movie about the BPD ex girlfriend boiling a bunny. People with disorders have enough problem with misunderstanding. We don't need TV or movies giving people wrong information about us. In real life (outside of forums) I've only told a small handful of people what I have. I never openly tell them unless they specifically ask. I don't go into details. Why? Because they have all seen the dramatized versions of DID and they will naturally assume that they understand me. They will also run away because they will make it out to be more than it is.

Anyway, sorry for getting on my soapbox. I just had to say something about that show. It annoys me and even the doctor who guided them is upset that they veered from reality.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Gossip Girl.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Big Bang Theory....going to crawl in bed and watch another episode on the DVR.
    "You can never really know a person and if you think you can, you're living in a fucking dream world!" David Fisher, Six Feet Under

pam's Avatar needs more cowbell
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rockford Files.....yeah I love the 1970s.

CrysCringle's Avatar Mrs. Claus
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Switched at Birth

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.