Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you worry about cancer?

Do you ever worry about getting cancer or other disease?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    No not really
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never used to until my dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer. Granted, his was caused from smoking for 40-some years, but family history always makes the concern much greater.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Yes. At one point I was having pretty bad headaches, dizzyness, nausea, blurred vision. So what did I do? I used Dr.Google. Idiot. It told me that my symptoms were the cause of a brain tumour.My GP told me otherwise. Migranes, it seems. I also have a wart on the back of my neck and I'm constantly checking that to see if it grows, convinced that it's skin cancer or something...

I've had to calm down a bit though lately. I've had a whole load of blood tests, ECG's, blood pressure tests, whole array of medical tests lately and they're all coming back fine. Huntingdons disease is the one I'm worrying about now, for some reason. For some reason. I think I've been misdiagnosed as bipolar and I actually have Huntingdons...

Behavioural changes are often the first symptoms to appear in Huntington's disease and can be the most distressing. These symptoms often include:
    • a lack of emotions and not recognising the needs of others in the family
    • alternating periods of aggression, excitement, depression, apathy, antisocial behaviour and anger
    • difficulty concentrating on more than one task, which causes irritability
    • short-term memory lapses
    • problems with orientation

A person with Huntington's may display a lack of drive, initiative and concentration that may make them appear lazy. This is not the case: it is just the way the disease affects their personality. Someone with Huntington's may also develop a lack of interest in hygiene and self-care.
    Now the psychiatric/Behavorial problems are the only problems I have. I don't really have any of the problems with speech, movement...so I'm having to reason with myself a bit that I don't have Huntingdons. Huntingdons is pretty rare. I guess I need to stop panicking, really.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not really, which is actually kind of surprising to me since I had to look after my step father as he was dying of cancer when I was 11 years old, and thus witnessed what it can look like at an early age.

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    Now the psychiatric/Behavorial problems are the only problems I have. I don't really have any of the problems with speech, movement...so I'm having to reason with myself a bit that I don't have Huntingdons. Huntingdons is pretty rare. I guess I need to stop panicking, really.
    I'm pretty sure for you to have Huntington's one of your parents would have to have it, and if they did, you'd probably know by now since it tends to become symptomatic by the time one is in their 40s.

I do worry about cancer but not excessively because I've kind of desensitised to it since it's constantly mentioned in the media. It's a very common disease. But the common stuff doesn't scare me as much as the rarer stuff. I've always been more distressed by neurodegenerative disease (though I've gotten much better with it), and EDS. The latter one utterly terrifies me because I'm quite certain I have it. I don't even like to say or write the whole name of it.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A lot

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    Yes. At one point I was having pretty bad headaches, dizzyness, nausea, blurred vision. So what did I do? I used Dr.Google. Idiot. It told me that my symptoms were the cause of a brain tumour.My GP told me otherwise. Migranes, it seems. I also have a wart on the back of my neck and I'm constantly checking that to see if it grows, convinced that it's skin cancer or something...

I've had to calm down a bit though lately. I've had a whole load of blood tests, ECG's, blood pressure tests, whole array of medical tests lately and they're all coming back fine. Huntingdons disease is the one I'm worrying about now, for some reason. For some reason. I think I've been misdiagnosed as bipolar and I actually have Huntingdons...

The only thing you can do is a test if there is one. But saying this, even I could think I "fit" all of these symptoms, even though we know that isn't true. Criteria isnt really a good indicator due to the lack of clarity . It doesn't tell you what it means by "short term memory lapses" and "problems with orientation". Pretty much you would need to read story's of people who have experienced it to even get an idea of what these symptoms mean. Also of course someone who has bipolar disorder has alternating moods.

Take pictures of the wart perhaps once a week and document it. Make sure its a good picture. This should help with the checking. You should not need to check all of the time if you have proof of what is happening.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I've had cancer. I don't worry about it. We are all going to die. What I worry about is the fact that I haven't lived.

shyVr6's Avatar Masking The Calm
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My Grandpa died of prostate cancer, so that has crossed my mind a few times.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Everyday.
    A few members of my family have had cancer, and one has died.

I get headaches a lot, and I worry that I might have a brain tumour.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I worry about tailbone cancer sometimes, but it doesn't consume me.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have before, but I hope that I never do. That's the best I can do.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To some degree, yes. I didn't used to worry about that at all but it's become more of a thought since developing a medical issue recently.
    "You can never really know a person and if you think you can, you're living in a fucking dream world!" David Fisher, Six Feet Under

pam's Avatar needs more cowbell
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I used to worry about it all the time when I was younger, but not anymore. I quit smoking just before I turned 40 (5 yrs ago), and it dawned on me that "Great, now I have to worry about dying from something else now!"

No, seriously, I will have a heart attack when I'm older because I have 2 defects in it that I was born with. Or I will have an accident like most people.

Last summer my cousin who never smoked/drank died from stomach & esophagus cancer on his 33rd birthday. Life is definitely not fair at all, and death never makes sense.

I agree with Misssy that I'm more worried about how I'm not living the way I could have.
    Drug-free and Happy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.