View Poll Results: Are you for or against the death penalty?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

10 37.04%
  • Against

17 62.96%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Death penalty

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Death penalty

For or against? Why?

I haven't put a 'it depends' option because I believe it's literally either 'for' or 'against'. If you think it should be reserved for only the most heinous, disgusting crimes where the accused is DEFINITELY beyond a reasonable doubt guilty, you're still for it.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Against. I can understand why people would be for it, when I read reports and court documents of murder and rape cases for research, I want nothing more than for the perpetrators to get whats coming to them. But, I firmly believe that none of us should lower ourselves to their level to just make ourselves feel better, if we put someone to death and get pleasure from it, how are we any different to them.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Same. For several reasons.

1) There are too many variables and mistakes that can be made. There are heaps of people that have been sentenced to death only to find out that person was innocent after they're already dead.
    2) It's actually cheaper to imprison someone for life than to give them the death penalty.
    3) It's just cruel. Every human being has the right to life. If someone takes that right away from someone, how is it any better that we're taking away their life?
    4) Imprisonment for life is far worse than being killed. If I committed a horrific crime, I'd much rather be given the death penalty than have to spend the rest of my life in jail.

So there are several ways of looking at it depending on which perspective you come from.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm for it for certain individuals. Serial killers caught in the act (caught with the evidence/corpses in their possession) for example. Or those who kill, serve out their sentence, then kill again. No trial or imprisonment needed...just kill em. I don't care about the method, leave that up to the individuals affected. Although there should be a wider variety of methods offered. I guess if they feel life in prison is worse, that's fine too. Vengeance belongs to the people, not to the "Lord".

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Against. Though I do sympathise with the need for retribution, I'm mainly against it because it's so expensive.

I used to think it was hypocritical for society to forbid murder, yet sanction it in the criminal justice system. But I've kind of shifted my views on that in the last couple of years, due to philosophical beliefs about life, death and cruelty. There's also an argument that the living conditions in jails are higher than what many inmates deserve, and I think that argument is probably valid. For instance, for inmates involved in serious crimes and have proven themselves resistant to rehabilitation, and / or have life without parole, I think they should be denied access to education / getting degrees. Again, mainly for practical reasons - it's expensive and society shouldn't have to fund these peoples' education... only expenses for the bare minimum (to keep them alive).

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm usually against, but in the case of serial killers, rapists, and child molesters, I am definitely for it.

Anybody who kills someone can't be rehabilitated, and anybody who rapes or molests someone definitely can't be rehabilitated. It's best to not send them to jail, but straight to hell.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm against it.

But my fully honest answer is: sometimes I really don't know.

In the case of rapists, killers, child abusers etc...well, you'd have to stop me shooting them myself if it were not for the fact that I promised my God that there would be no violence in her name. And my life is in her name.

In many cases, I believe there has to be a chance given for regret, remorse and rehabilitation to take place. In most cases, the asking of a life in payment for a crime is barbaric nonsense and, whilst we might not often like it, we have to be the ones who are better than the person who did the crime. We have to allow justice to take place, yes. But we also have to allow for the chance that maybe, just maybe, something good and better could come from it all.

Sometimes there really is no hope and there is no empathy inside the person. Sometimes the person rots to the core and you're not going to see that person make any changes in their life.

But in other times, it's not nearly as clear cut as that.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Against. I'm more for them spending a life in prison rather than just killing them off. But then for the worst criminals, the serious criminals, the rapists, the child molesters...I don't know. Sometimes I wonder. When I hear the stories on the news then sometimes I do wonder whether or not they do deserve to die or not.

But what if we get it wrong? Then were killing an innocent man.

Im more for his country doing something about the prison system and stop trying to make it as comfy as possible for the people that can't be bothered to obey the law. XBoxs in cells? You are joking me. And now Europe wants to give them vote. Thankfully, that one hasn't been passed.

So yeah...a lifetime in prison, rights taken away from them.

pam's Avatar needs more cowbell
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Ventura View Post
    Totally against.

For manly this reason: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_execution
    Yes this!!!!

Unless we live in the perfect world where money doesn't influence trial outcomes, jurors are actually not dumb sheep who will believe anything a charismatic lawyer tells them, deals aren't made with sometimes criminals just to get someone else convicted, judges are not biased at all, and prosecutors don't need to convict people so they can be re-elected, etc. then I am definitely AGAINST it.

Do people actually think that becuase someone is convicted of a crime, they are guilty? I know that's what I was taught as a child, but that's not reality. "Justice" isn't "equal" at all and it sure isn't blind. And prisons (which are not the same as jails even tho people use them interchangably) are there to keep offenders/criminals apart from society for the safety of society, not as a "punishment" or to get revenge.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote WintersTale View Post
    I'm usually against, but in the case of serial killers, rapists, and child molesters, I am definitely for it.

Anybody who kills someone can't be rehabilitated, and anybody who rapes or molests someone definitely can't be rehabilitated. It's best to not send them to jail, but straight to hell.
    I'd like to kill rapists and child molesters too, but logically it makes more sense for them to spend the rest of their lives in jail. To be honest, on a kind of mean note, they usually don't last long in prison if they've hurt a child and might need to be sent to solitary for their own protection. That's gotta suck. I know the punishment doesn't really fit the crime here. They CAN be rehabilitated but they will still be a danger to society which is why they have little areas and halfway houses where they have to live. Some people think it's unfair,but I think if you've hurt someone else in that way, take the consequences like a responsible adult.

I also agree with people saying jail conditions should not be so luxurious. The prisons in Norway look better than dorm rooms. I'm not saying take every right away from prisoners, because for people who are in for drug charges, having a horrid environment is likely to make them want to reoffend (plus you can't really treat drug offenders in the same way you do a murderer, so lesser offenses should be treated as such). But for murderers/sex offenders, they shouldn't be allowed access to the comforts of life. Having said that, Norway's recidivism rate is lower than the US. But still, their conditions are too nice and for 'vulnerable' individuals (like the poor), going to jail is genuinely better than living on the streets.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Someone would have to be one hardcore serial rapist/molester for me to but them in the same category with murderers like you all do. But then again, i've never been molested or raped either. Even if i had, i can't really see wishing death upon the person before incarceration and rehabilitation.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i have no opinion really, but i was watching tv one time about a prison in israel and it looked awesome. they could have playstations, shoes, clothes, fans.. carpets.. drapes.. all kinds of cool shit. beds. they were allowed to stay in rooms with their family and junk. they talked about how it was easier to keep them happy than have them causing trouble and getting violent.

this one dude killed his sister for dating a guy on the internet and 'shaming' their family name JEEZ
    “A Caterpie may change into a Butterfree, but the heart that beats inside it remains the same.” — Brock

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, that's pretty crazy, Chopin.

I agree with Ventura that there are a lot of people who are innocent who are sent to prison. And even those who just make mistakes, and then turn their lives around...and then have to live their entire lives based on a single mistake.

I just feel that there are so many flaws with the legal system.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just think a society should strive to be better than the worst of its members, or a society should strive to be better than the worst acts committed within it.
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Never will happen. There are too many bad people in the world, especially those in positions of power.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.