Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Crazy Loco Love: A Memoir.

want me to find a good quote from it? i can do that, in fact i like to do that. hold on let me see what's a good one, i was looking through my highlights earlier but nothing was really saying sharable to me. still nothing's saying that to me so i guess this will have to do, it's from the beginning but it's kind of saying what the whole book's going to be about.

This is a book about fathers and sons and how a boy of sixteen is told that he isn’t a boy anymore but on the verge of becoming un hombre, and to be a man one must go out into the world and live and learn and not be afraid of screwing up. Enjoy! Thank you, gracias, from my familia to your familia.

You are a man now, and to be un hombre, a man must not only know right from wrong, he must also know who he is and who he isn’t. Because if a man doesn’t know who he is and who he isn’t, then no matter how much he knows about right and wrong, he will always be like a fish out of water.

My mother, a woman, told me this, and I’ll tell you, mijo, that you will learn who you are and who you aren’t in the next four or five years, because not to learn who you are and who you aren’t in the next few years, my mother said, is to be missing the most important part of your whole life.
    i could've choked when i read this. i didn't, but i could've. the good thing was there was nothing in my mouth at the time so i didn't. but what made it worse was i was on the bus near to other people when i read it. really not the place to consider your own existence or to do any self examination. then you get self conscious and it's just weird. i was reading to lose my surroundings. but i couldn't help it, what it said there really got to me. and i was really not expecting it, like reading is for escapism and fun for me, i want to read about other people i want to lose myself in their lives or ideas. that's one criteria i use to pick the books i read, if i'm confident it's going to do that or not. but then wham, i almost choked on what i read. i mean it's not all bad, but it's kind of bad. but better late to read it than never? can i claim delayed adolescence and get a few more years to figure out who i am and who i am not that way. because i don't really think i did that yet. and i do think i had a delayed adolescence. does this really mean im missing the most important part of my whole self. that sounds completely awful but according to this it does and my time is up to find it. that was the thought that when i first had it, could've caused me to choke. it was just a stroke of luck that i wasn't chewing anything at the time or taking a sip of water. maybe that was an omen and i do deserve some extra time for this. i hope there's some workaround to it. for you guys too, who didn't figure this out in time like i didn't.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Quote FireIsTheCleanser View Post
    The Road which I heard about in the Random Thought thread.
    I'm reading this right now. Cormac McCarthy's writing style is pretty different than what I'm used to.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    im going to read the memoirs of emma goldman or richard wright next. i'm leaning a lot more towards richard wright's memoir but then hers kind of come first, so i'm thinking i should read hers, but hers are really long so i don't know if i'm ready to commit to those. and also there's this guy i really like and i watched this interview where he said he read her memoirs, all of them, and that they were worse than useless. like he had no appreciation at all for them you could tell. the interviewer didn't really know how to respond. like he brought her up and was expecting him to like her. but not only did he not like her, he'd read her memoirs and liked her even less because of it. so it really went in the worst way possible for him. and usually people don't read something that's long and stick with it only to say it was a complete waste of time when they finish it, so it sounded pretty bad to me to hear him say that. kind of worse than that though, almost devastating, i hated hearing him say what he said about the memoirs. people you like are supposed to like each other, that's the way things are supposed to be. large parts of both memoirs are about chicago since they both lived in that city for awhile. but it's not really that they just lived there and went about their lives in the city, they were actually both really active in some loosely related things that were going on in chicago when they were there. for all i know it wasn't loosely related but pretty closely related. like the things he was involved in could be what the things she was involved in morphed into in the decades afterwards. there really was a lot going on in chicago during the times they were there. and after they were there too. in fact i'm realizing that there's a lot of interesting things that have happened in chicago, so now i'm kind of fascinated with the city's history. which is unusual since i can't think of too many places i care about the history of. like united states history, that's boring. but chicago history, i don't know, i'm thinking that might be interesting. i just keep finding more interesting things out about it as time goes on. it's probably a smart move to read about the chicago of the early 20th century before i read about what it was like closer to the middle of the century, but then again her memoirs are pretty long. hopefully the chicago part is all contained in the first one so i don't have to read both parts before i can move on to the other memoir (there's 2, part 1 and part 2).

also this other thing i have to read is one of jack londons short stories. i read all these comments on reddit about sled dogs, and some of them contained really good descriptions of sled dogs and the snow and stuff that made me want to read more. "to build a fire" is what the critics say is jack london at his best. it takes place somewhere snowy and it's about a traveler and his dog, so it fit the bill and i bought it. it was only a dollar.

Yossarian's Avatar Television Man
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?"

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    images.jpg

Finished. Was okay. She's not one for self-reflection though. And barely touched on her illness.

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    51ETY3EWR5L.jpg

It was a chore to read (even though I read it in two sittings), because I was disgusted and enraged throughout it. Fairly triggery if you've experienced abuse in childhood too. Reading the reviews on goodreads afterwards, alerted me to the fact that the book could possibly have been fabricated or grossly embellished. Nearly everyone in his family claims he lied, but it's easy to see why they'd say that... Then I read an article on the author and he does seem like a somewhat sketchy character. So I am not sure what to make of any of this.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Brandon Sanderson-The Stormlight Archive series.Pretty good if you like fantasy.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)
    It is the light she longs to find,
    When she delights in learning more.
    Her world is learning; it defines
    The destiny she?s reaching for

- Marie Curie

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)

Very good, but it's hard to listen to as a sensitive person.

- Marie Curie

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)

- Marie Curie

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote firestar View Post
    There's a film coming out based on that, isn't there?

Is the book good?
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    There's a film coming out based on that, isn't there?

Is the book good?
    The film came out, actually. It won a lot of Oscars, which is how I heard about it.

It's pretty good so far. It's an interesting look at what people do when they can't afford a home and can't afford to retire.

- Marie Curie

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)

- Marie Curie

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Quote Antidote View Post
    51ETY3EWR5L.jpg

It was a chore to read (even though I read it in two sittings), because I was disgusted and enraged throughout it. Fairly triggery if you've experienced abuse in childhood too. Reading the reviews on goodreads afterwards, alerted me to the fact that the book could possibly have been fabricated or grossly embellished. Nearly everyone in his family claims he lied, but it's easy to see why they'd say that... Then I read an article on the author and he does seem like a somewhat sketchy character. So I am not sure what to make of any of this.
    I think most of it is true. I read his brother Richard's biography - he became the scapegoated child after Dave was rescued. The brother's account corroborated his.

Their parents should have been put in prison. Society really let those kids down.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The Exeter Book.

I've always been fascinated with history. It isn't really a book about history but it's idk interesting lol.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.