Thread: Public speaking

kc1895's Avatar KFC Hipster
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Public speaking

My goal is to become a successful public speaker. I'm a long way from there, but it is something that I'll be striving for.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That sounds like a very positive goal! Is there anything in particular you want to speak about?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No just anything.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Being a motivational speaker would be awesome! It helps those who need it most.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Hey - how is this going hun?
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Haha, I've must've been joking or out of my mind when I said that a year ago. Either way I think I cursed myself. I'm still attening a public speaking club, Toastmasters and still nervous when speaking in front of an audience. I luckily won a speech at a meeting and was forced to compete in the area competition. That means I will be on stage with hundreds of people watching. oh the thrill, I could faint just thinking about it What did I get myself into??

Inscrutable Banana's Avatar Diggin' My Potatoes
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I would [BEEP] several dozen bricks if I had to talk in front of that many people. Best of luck to you in your public speaking endeavors, I'm sure you'll be able to handle it—maybe do that thing where you imagine the audience naked or in their underwear to make it less intimidating.
    “Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.” — George Carlin

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." — George Carlin

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote kc1895 View Post
    Haha, I've must've been joking or out of my mind when I said that a year ago. Either way I think I cursed myself. I'm still attening a public speaking club, Toastmasters and still nervous when speaking in front of an audience. I luckily won a speech at a meeting and was forced to compete in the area competition. That means I will be on stage with hundreds of people watching. oh the thrill, I could faint just thinking about it What did I get myself into??
    When will this take place? Let us know ok?

Public speaking is tough. I used to panic for days, then just trash myself after I did it.

What helped me was working with toddlers. Yes, toddlers. And I was actually able to teach a library student my trick.

Toddlers don't have the ability to think about you up there entertaining them. They are just able to react to the fun and parrot. If I read something silly, then get them to do a motion with me, they follow and feel pleasure. The more pleasure they have, the longer they want to keep looking my way.

I probably have a record of keeping the most toddlers entertained for 30 minutes or longer.

When adults are at a lecture, their brains go down to a toddler level. They are sitting in a chair being made to listen. They may even want to be there and be excited about the lecture, but something in their brain says, "I don't wanna sit here" and their inner child sticks out his or her tongue.

So while speaking on intellectual things, you need to also entertain their 2 year old.

So your body language such as smiling, moving around a bit, getting the audience to laugh with you, and generally everybody having a good time is important. I don't know the rules of the competition and if they insist you stand at a podium. I know when I speak, I move around the front of the audience, give specific people eye contact, smile and make jokes. In fact my side comments and mistakes are usually the biggest hits of my talks.

It's also very important to give eye contact to people who are enjoying you. There will always be those 2 year old pouters who don't want to be there and will pout and frown in their body language. Mentally ignore that person and seek out the "two year olds" who are easily entertained by your wit, your smile, your motion and your happy good natured voice. You could be reading a grocery list, but if you do it in an entertaining way, you're a hit.

So remember...............they are two year olds.

You are in charge of the room.

You're just entertaining them by distracting them with fun things.

Watch The Wiggles and see how they do it. They are masters of 2 year old entertainment.

Sorry about the suggestions. I tend to get all teacher on some things. I know I can be irritating.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.