Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To shy to go to the doctor

I know this will sound stupid but i have never been to my doctor about my shyness and deppresion, everytime i think about gong to see him I convince myself that he will just tell me that i am being silly and that there is nothing wrong with me. Part of me knows that he would not do such a thing, but knowing this dosent make it any easier for me to just go and maybe get some help. I know that i need help and if continue as i am i will probrably not live all that long, I know that sounds overly dramatic but it is how i feel.

Anyway any advice as to how i could overcome this problem would be most welcome

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    People are shy.

Shyness is actually normal. It's when it turns into an anxiety disorder that you have problems. Do you have shyness or anxiety?

Anyway, therapists know about anxiety disorders, so normal ones would understand where you're coming from. Look for a CBT.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just talk to him! You can do it

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Be clear about your purpose of the meeting, and remember that you don't have to answer questions that feel too private or irrelevant.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Doubly Shy View Post
    I know this will sound stupid but i have never been to my doctor about my shyness and deppresion, everytime i think about gong to see him I convince myself that he will just tell me that i am being silly and that there is nothing wrong with me. Part of me knows that he would not do such a thing, but knowing this dosent make it any easier for me to just go and maybe get some help. I know that i need help and if continue as i am i will probrably not live all that long, I know that sounds overly dramatic but it is how i feel.

Hey sweety,

This is a very common thing for people who see the doctor for their mental and physical health problems. It can be very difficult to talk about mental health difficulties but your doctor is there for you to assist you and only wants the best for you. S/he cannot help you unless you get across to them what is happening and once you start talking about it they are there to make it easier for you. If your doctor ever tells you you are being silly and doesn't take you seriously, you leave and find somewhere else. Maybe you could try writing down what you want to say and have it in front of you going in or maybe bring a friend/ family member that you trust to be of support.

If you do go hun let us know how you get on and good luck. Also, I don't know where you are from, but maybe check out voluntary mental health services that could be of help.

Take care
    J,x
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Doubly Shy View Post

Write down what you want to say to your doctor on a piece of paper and take that piece of paper with you when you go to see your doctor. Then let your doctor read that piece of paper.

That's one way of easing any pressure you may be feeling.

No Doctor will ever tell their patient/client that they are being silly for coming to see them. Indeed, most of the doctors I have spoken to are glad when people who have health concerns come to see them. They'd rather people took care of their health by coming to see them.

Doctors and therapists come in all shapes and sizes but one thing we have in common is that we are not there to judge. Our role is to help you in any way we can. We know it can be daunting for patients and clients to come to see us and seek professional help. We know this because we go to see doctors and therapists too. I have a therapist too. I have to have one as it's a requirement of my training and job. Doctors sometimes need to see other doctors.

Health care professionals are human beings with fears, anxieties and phobias as well as shyness. We've also been clients, patients etc. Trust us to help you. We're aware it can be a big ask to ask for that trust. We're aware it can be daunting for you to come see us. But we're here to help.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.