Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Organ donation

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Of course! It brings me some comfort to know that my having been here could help someone live longer or have a better life. I'm signed up for the bone marrow registry also.

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote WineKitty View Post
    I really don't like the idea of being harvested or even kept alive to be harvested (which I have seen over and over again).
    Are they in pain while being kept alive though? I'd only be put off if they extend your suffering until they're ready to remove your organs.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    ^Artifical Ventillation I think. They sometimes do it when a patient is close to death to give family members the chance to say goodbye. The only countries that keep "brain dead" patients alive with artifical ventilation is Spain and the US, I think. Really, they should have an opt-out opt-in option for this, by putting on the form that you're happy to donate organs, but not okay to be kept alive for a long time so they can be harvested. Israel has a policy which means that if you need an organ and a donor, you're more likely to get it than someone who isn't. I don't know if thats right or not.

I just don't like the number of deaths that happened that could have been prevented by somebody donating an organ.

Quote life View Post
    in the uk your relatives have the final say, they can over rule your wishes
    This bit has always bugged me. I'm an adult who's agreed to donate if it comes to that, so why should my family get the last say? As it is, I'd be surprised if my family stopped it, though, most of them are registered donors as well. I dunno, there's something on my drivers license that says I'm an organ donor.

Edit: Although on the subject of keeping people/organs alive, I came across this. http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/25/health...an-transplants
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I am. Why not help someone who could use them, instead of letting them rot away.
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

kc1895's Avatar KFC Hipster
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm concerned about not knowing who those organs are going to. That also applies for bone marrow, where its an annonymous donation and they purposely make it hard to find out who's going to be receiving it. I think one of the reasons is that people may change their minds after realizing that they don't want to donate to this person afterall, or its not worth it!

I definitely would not want to donate anything, especially my organs to a criminal or somebody who might hurt other people after given a second chance in life. I've seen articles in the news where people behind bars are waiting for organ transplants and its completely unfair to innocent people on the waitlist who deserve priority. So no, I'm not donating my organs to some sick psychopath who can continue living and hurting other people.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In Wales, a law is coming into effect where you're presumed to have consented to be a donor unless you've opted out. Though it only applies to people in Wales, isn't law yet and your family can still override your wishes if they want to.

If we've reached the point where donating my organs is a discussion topic then things like worries, doubts and fears are unlikely to matter. I wouldn't have long left if that's the kind of discussion taking place. I've been in hospitals, I've seen patients in all manner of pain and discomfort. If I don't need them anymore and my organs can help someone else then fair enough. I can't control who they go to and I can't really worry about that either. My heart always was a gift. As are my other organs. The atoms that make them up could just have easily have been a table, a chair or anything. The organs themselves and the length of time I've been alive are all gifts and many people went through a lot to get me here. Gifts should be shared and if I can stop someone having to face a darkness in this world by letting them have my organs when I no longer need them then so be it.

It's never an easy subject to talk about and I'm never going to tell a grieving family what's right or wrong/what they should do etc. Loss is pain and fear and to have to make such a choice from that place of loss and fear must be awful. And we all have different beliefs and perspectives.

It's hard even to have the conversation to let your family know what your wishes are never mind have a discussion about whether the family could or should override your wishes at a later date. My wishes are known. And by the time any of this becomes an issue, I'll be long gone anyway

Many of us have lost loved ones. And the feelings surrounding that loss never seem to get old. We cope, we move on but...one of my grandmother's died in 1996 and I still sometimes expect to go round her house for tea and supper like we used to do as a family. I had a very weird dream about my grandmother after she died and she told me: "don't be afraid of death and don't be afraid of life. In the end, it all works out".

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote takethebiscuit View Post
    In Wales, a law is coming into effect where you're presumed to have consented to be a donor unless you've opted out. Though it only applies to people in Wales, isn't law yet and your family can still override your wishes if they want to.

If we've reached the point where donating my organs is a discussion topic then things like worries, doubts and fears are unlikely to matter. I wouldn't have long left if that's the kind of discussion taking place. I've been in hospitals, I've seen patients in all manner of pain and discomfort. If I don't need them anymore and my organs can help someone else then fair enough. I can't control who they go to and I can't really worry about that either. My heart always was a gift. As are my other organs. The atoms that make them up could just have easily have been a table, a chair or anything. The organs themselves and the length of time I've been alive are all gifts and many people went through a lot to get me here. Gifts should be shared and if I can stop someone having to face a darkness in this world by letting them have my organs when I no longer need them then so be it.

It's never an easy subject to talk about and I'm never going to tell a grieving family what's right or wrong/what they should do etc. Loss is pain and fear and to have to make such a choice from that place of loss and fear must be awful. And we all have different beliefs and perspectives.

It's hard even to have the conversation to let your family know what your wishes are never mind have a discussion about whether the family could or should override your wishes at a later date. My wishes are known. And by the time any of this becomes an issue, I'll be long gone anyway

Many of us have lost loved ones. And the feelings surrounding that loss never seem to get old. We cope, we move on but...one of my grandmother's died in 1996 and I still sometimes expect to go round her house for tea and supper like we used to do as a family. I had a very weird dream about my grandmother after she died and she told me: "don't be afraid of death and don't be afraid of life. In the end, it all works out".
    I've heard about this. I guess there's people that would opt out for religious reasons and that's fair enough. If you feel that strongly about it, you'll take the time to opt out. Nobodies forcing you to donate.

At the same time, if anyone here had a loved one that needed an organ transplant and found they were a match, how many of you would donate? Of course, it's different, being a living donor. But I'm guessing a lot of parents out there would donate a kidney in the blink of an eye if they were informed there child needed one.

But again, that's different. Donating an organ can be dangerous if you're still alive. I've even heard about people selling there kidneys.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.