Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Neil deGrasse Tyson's remake of Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' headed to Fox in 2014

Neil deGrasse Tyson's reboot of astrophysicist Carl Sagan’s groundbreaking documentary series, Cosmos: A Personal Journey, is finally on its way to television. Fox made the official announcement during its advertising upfront presentation at New York’s Beacon Theatre on Monday, reports The Los Angeles Times. The series has been in the works for years, and will be making its long-awaited premiere sometime in 2014.

The 13-episode series is being produced, surprisingly, by Seth MacFarlane of Family Guy fame. As far as the hosting gig goes, it’s hard to imagine who could be a better fit than Tyson, who first met Sagan as a 17-year-old applicant to Cornell University, having been personally invited by the famous scientist to "come check out the lab."

It will be interesting to see what the team has planned for the new show. The Sagan original became the most successful US public TV series of all time relying primarily on the astrophysicist’s elegant expositions of the universe, while today’s science programming largely takes its cues from sci-fi, revolving around flashy computer animation and dramatic visual effects. At the same time, Fox might not seem like the most obvious home for a high-minded astrophysics series, although the network believes that even without a huge financial return, the series "could have a cultural impact."

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/13/43...to-fox-in-2014
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    We have to wait till 2014?...

Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

The thought of Fox being involved with this makes me queasy. I watched the original and it's aged pretty well. Not that you couldn't update it with all that's happened since 1980, but at the level Sagan was working, it's not that dated.

I'm going to have nightmares of Fox turning this into some kind of abomination that metaphorically spits on Sagan's grave.

What do you think about Seth MacFarlane producing it?
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I really have no idea what to think about Seth producing it =/. He has mentioned he is a huge fan and with Neil Degrasse in it Im sure it cant all be a horrible mess up. But yea, its going to have some really tough shoes to fill and I totally agree about Fox producing it ><

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.