Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is the eventual abolition of suffering for sentient life feasible?

"David Pearce is a British utilitarian philosopher. He believes and promotes the idea that there exists a strong ethical imperative for humans to work towards the abolition of suffering in all sentient life. His book-length internet manifesto The Hedonistic Imperative outlines how technologies such as genetic engineering, nanotechnology, pharmacology, and neurosurgery could potentially converge to eliminate all forms of unpleasant experience among human and non-human animals, replacing suffering with gradients of well-being, a project he refers to as "paradise engineering". A transhumanist and a vegan, Pearce believes that we (or our future posthuman descendants) have a responsibility not only to avoid cruelty to animals within human society but also to alleviate the suffering of animals in the wild."

He also outlines his philosophy in some detail in his podcasts:

What are your thoughts on this philosophy? Is the eventual abolition of suffering for sentient life feasible? Will it have too many collateral implications?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    No, I don't think so. Life would be to different without it, almost non existant. As it is, even if we were to plant crops all over Mars and use them for food, we still wouldn't have enough food to feed every single human on this planet.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think doctors shouldn't be afraid of losing their license and going to jail for prescribing pain medication to people that are in pain, like cancer patients. In the United States doctors are terrified of going to jail for prescribing pain medication. I have a herniated disk and degenerative arthritus and I've never been prescribed pain medication except for after I had surgeries.
    I wanted benzos and it took years until a doctor prescribed me benzos. Instead they prescribed me SSRI's that didn't work and they had side effects and I tried over a dozen SSRI's. I think doctors should alleviate pain if people are in pain.
    I don't get a signature.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.