Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does your anxiety make you feel physically ill?

I feel physically ill quite a lot of the time. My main symptoms are nausea/queasiness, headaches, chronic backache, tightness in my chest, feeling agitated. That kind of thing.

I also suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. But the thing is, it's often the way I'm feeling physically that triggers my anxiety/panic attacks. For example, I may suddenly start to feel nauseated, and that will immediately cause me to become very anxious (and to feel more nauseated).

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    If you're getting physically ill like that, you may want to go check and see what's up, if you don't know already. Just doing a blood test could tell what's up. The nausea, chest tightness and agitation are symptoms of panic attacks that I've had, I haven't had the others though. Headaches could be because of the anxiety, they're called "tension headaches". and the pain of them can go as far down as shoulders/neck. I haven't heard of the backache one before, but maybe it could. Sounds more like you might have Panic Disorder if you have some sort of anxiety. I don't know. Do you ever get the deep breathing symptom, racing thoughts, fast heartbeat? Usually a sign of panic attacks.

But, not here to diagnose I guess. As I said, if you're feeling physically ill, go get a blood test done and see a doc. And since you're new here, welcome.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Bobby View Post
    I feel physically ill quite a lot of the time. My main symptoms are nausea/queasiness, headaches, chronic backache, tightness in my chest, feeling agitated. That kind of thing.

I also suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. But the thing is, it's often the way I'm feeling physically that triggers my anxiety/panic attacks. For example, I may suddenly start to feel nauseated, and that will immediately cause me to become very anxious (and to feel more nauseated).
    I can relate. I'm that way with my body temperature. And it's a cyclical thing, with one causing the other. I ended up with an as-needed anxiety medicine that I carried around for awhile, like a security blanket, and eventually the nausea went away because I knew I could get rid of it so easily. Then I didn't have to carry the pill anymore.

That's just nausea though. I do get some nasty chronic back pain that is certainly worsened by anxiety. And as a crisis worker in an ER I can tell you that probably 9/10 of people suffering from anxiety also get pain from tensing their muscles. It's so common it's almost a given. Sometimes just some ibuprofen can help...I know that if I can get rid of my pain, I'll also get rid of some of my anxiety because I'll feel physically the way I feel when things are normal.

If that makes any sense.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    oh my yes - can be worse than the thoughts sometimes. Heart pounding, feeling light headed and faint, nasal pressure, blushing, tummy goes queasy. Sometimes I get diarrhoea in the mornings.
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    definitely, yes
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For me, I start feeling the symptoms of anxiety which makes me more anxious which results in more symptoms which results in more anxiety ect ect until finally sometimes I have a full fledged panic attack
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes

mezzoforte's Avatar Fap Wizard
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I'm anxious, my stomach hurts pretty bad.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    SleepySleepy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sometimes, when I'm really nervous about something. My stomach will be in knots and I completely lose my appetite. Feel sick & pukey too. Can go on for a day or more.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah for me it was nausea, shortness of breath, stomach issues, and feeling like I'm going to pass out.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, anxiety make a person physically and mentally ill.
    It can cause the stomach problems, blood pressure problems, and also unbalanced body weight.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have those symptoms with every panic attack I have. I also get very weak and feel like I am going to pass out.

Inscrutable Banana's Avatar Diggin' My Potatoes
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    When I'm feeling really anxious I definitely get some physical symptoms from it; an elevated heart rate, trembling hands, shortness of breath, and a "sinking" feeling in my chest being the most common/prominent. Anybody with bad enough anxiety is going to get some sort of physical reaction to it, though.

IllusionOfHappiness's Avatar killer of conversations
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote whiteman View Post
    For me, I start feeling the symptoms of anxiety which makes me more anxious which results in more symptoms which results in more anxiety ect ect until finally sometimes I have a full fledged panic attack
    This is the worst! Anxiety causing anxiety. Can't catch a freaking break.

In answer to the OP, yes, anxiety will often make me feel ill. If I know I'm going to be in a high anxiety situation it's best not to eat much (if anything) because my stomach will not appreciate it. The symptoms you mentioned are all pretty much standard anxiety symptoms. I've not had a chronic backache before, but I've experienced all the others mentioned.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    nausea and head aches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.