Thread: Suicide?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Suicide?

IS there a rule against talking about suicide?

I read it somewhere

though a lot of us think about it so you know I wonder why we can't talk about it

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Liability/insurance issues I guess. If somebody was to start a suicide thread and then go on to kill themselves, the site could be shut down.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Total Eclipse's Avatar Happy Sparkles and Coffee
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    Liability/insurance issues I guess. If somebody was to start a suicide thread and then go on to kill themselves, the site could be shut down.
    This ~

And it isn't against the rule in the sense you'll be banned for it. When someone posts something like that; a lot of things happen "behind the scenes" so to speak and giving the member resources. We can't allow these threads for many reasons Although we want you to feel better if your not well

But we can't allow suicide "goodbye notes", etc, on forums. Sharing your feelings on your personal blog is okay.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Even if we could have threads here, it would be disastrous for the suicidal person just looking to talk. Most people cannot handle a suicidal person, even those who have been suicidal before. Usually it just makes you feel worse posting on forums because no one will just listen to you. You always get lame advice that is supposed to fix everything or you get the whole "my life is worse so stop being suicidal". Essentially, it only harms the suicidal person.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Misssy View Post
    IS there a rule against talking about suicide?

I read it somewhere

though a lot of us think about it so you know I wonder why we can't talk about it
    Because those of us who don't have your exact location would feel helpless and worry that they caused you to kill yourself. The "what ifs" start. What if I had said something different. What if I just listened rather than talked. What if I wasn't the one he/she talked to tonight.

I used to run a small blog/forum and could see other people's IP addresses which can give a general idea of their location. Some IP's though are on a shared line and give false locations. If someone was suicidal, I could call the police and give a name and the general location to send out help to them. Sending out help would get them to a hospital and possibly against their will. That's what therapists and counselors have to do by law. Call the police even if that person is just saying they "feel" that way.

So when a person talks about suicide they become somebody else's problem. The people who can't help them become worried wrecks because they can't do anything and just have to hope that person doesn't die. Those who have the means to help, need to stop everything and get that person help which usually ends up a mess if the person didn't want to go to the hospital.

Having this rule actually protects everyone here. The person who is suicidal needs to tell someone physically near them so 1) they can get local help; 2)the forum members aren't freaked out by their powerlessness; 3) the mods and admins aren't sucked into having to take responsibility for a person's life.

Just my opinion.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    ^ agree with everything.
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.