Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oxytocin and Autism

Animal studies suggest that oxytocin facilitates social cognitive abilities crucial to social success and is involved in prosocial behavior in healthy humans. Dr. Hollanders lab seeks to apply these findings to the treatment of autism spectrum disorders. Oxytocin may play a role in autism, given that social interaction deficits are a core feature of autism, and that oxytocin is involved in regulating affiliative behaviors. Studies also show that intravenous administration of oxytocin reduces repetitive behaviors and improves social memory. Series: M.I.N.D. Institute Lecture Series on Neurodevelopmental Disorders [4/2009] [Health and Medicine] [Professional Medical Education] [Show ID: 16228]

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks for posting. I didn't realise how much of that talk was about OCD behaviours. I wrote out the factors he mentioned because I thought it was interesting since I have kind of neglected my own OCD symptoms.

Factor 1 obsessions / intrusive thoughts
    contamination
    aggression
    sexual
    religious
    magical
    somatic (I think this means hypochondria)

Factor 2 behaviours
    washing
    checking
    repeating
    ordering
    rituals involving others
    ritualised eating

Factor 3 repetitive stimming
    Rubbing
    Rocking
    Echoing
    Self-damaging

Factor 4 hoarding
    hoarding obsession
    hoarding compulsions

I think he said factor 1 and 2 are considered higher order OC behaviours. And factor 3 is considered lower order OC behaviours. Oxytocin decreases lower order behaviour (stimming) but increases higher order behaviours (OCD).

I also thought it was interesting how he said borderliners process oxytocin differently. Oxcytocin infusion reduced stress in situations where social judgement takes place, in both normals and borderliners (borderliners experience more stress reduction). Yet borderliners were more likely to become competitive rather than cooperative as a result? I didn't understand his explanation for that. But I guess it goes with their antagonistic / difficult personalities. It's like even though the oxcytocin made them more socially relaxed, I'm not sure the oxytocin actually made them feel more connected or more trusting of others. It seemed to just give them the confidence to be the jerks they are rather than feel a sense of solidarity.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.