Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

June 3rd is reset all your passwords day :D

Despite being a nerd and being into IT for a long time I've been somewhat lazy with my passwords. Not "password" lazy but not good enough IMO. I had a 3 tier system I used one low strength password for most of my logins and sites, a medium strength one for some other stuff, and one or two strong ones for my banking and the like. But I never bothered to change them. Recently I got a message that my Facebook and Hotmail accounts seemed to have been hacked to I decided, ok time to change passwords. I'm now going to be using KeePass Password Safe:

http://keepass.info/

to save all my passwords and a lot of other stuff in a strong encrypted file. I've actually been using this for a while and it's really good, just haven't been using it enough. Then I'll use super strong passwords for most things and copy the passwords from the encrypted database when I need to use them. I recommend others do something similar if they are worried about security. Just make sure you choose a strong main password for the keeypass login, something you can remember of course. This uses 256bit AES encryption so it's all but hack proof, assuming you use a strong password.

Only thing now is that I won't be able to memorize these passwords. Try memorizing these suckers:

N3bc"tYUNQ.!$sqz
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    God I cant wait for the day for fingerprint and retina scans...passwords and usernames need to die IMO! I think I have well over 100+ site registrations that I have to remember and I seriously hate it

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.