Thread: College Anxiety

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

College Anxiety

Hey guys,
    So this is my first time really opening up on a forum like this. But i'm 21 years old and i'm starting college in Ottawa this year for Journalism. I actually graduated high school 3 years ago but since then i've done a victory lap, attended a university I didn't like and i've taken another year off after that to work/travel. A lot of good and bad has happened within that time, i've lost a few high school friends that just drifted apart from me, I ended my first serious relationship and I lost my job. On a better note though, I went to Europe for two weeks and I got into college.

Anyways here's the point of all this. I'm living in residence this year and I know I should be happy at the opportunity of making new friends, but over the past few weeks i've been having a LOT of anxiety over meeting new people. To the point where i've started to take St. John's Wort in hopes of relieving some of that anxiety. I just moved into residence about 5 days ago and there's not a lot of people here yet because the official move in date is not for another day. But I had a very lonely year at university 2 years ago where I had no friends and I spent a lot of time alone in my room and i'm super afraid that the same thing will happen this year. I am not at all good at meeting new people and I don't wanna have to change who I am just to fit in with people. I want to have friends and I want to go out and explore this city but it's no fun doing it alone. Anyone in the same position/any tips?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was exactly me when I was in uni. I'd suggest going to hang out in your shared kitchen a bit rather than your room so you can meet a lot of people in your halls. How many people are there now?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never lived in residence halls when I was in college, I had friends who lived in them and when I visited them, I realized how thankful I was not to live there. Perhaps try finding a club or two to join? I'm sure there is something you could join that would interest you? Maybe there is even some sort of club that will allow you to explore the city? Anyways, find something to do that will keep you from feeling pressure of HAVING to make connections with people in your residence hall.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.