Thread: Naturopath

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Naturopath

I went to the naturopath/nutritionist today, and I learned that social anxiety is caused by green tea! and it can be cured by eating raw pumpkin seeds!
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote whiteman View Post
    I went to the naturopath/nutritionist today, and I learned that social anxiety is caused by green tea! and it can be cured by eating raw pumpkin seeds!
    There's some evidence that green tea, if drunk too much, can cause anxiety. And there's some evidence that raw pumpkin seeds can help reduce anxiety in some people. Diet is an interesting and important area to look at when it comes to anxiety.

That said, the idea that green tea causes social anxiety and it can be cured by eating pumpkin seed is not supported.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    ...errr...

I mean no offence to anyone, but I generally feel like punching these people. Jeez, I've never even drunk green tea.

As takethebiscuit said though, yeah, I do think diet can cause anxiety/mental illness. Take caffeine for example. It can make some people with anxiety disorders panic. There's some people that claim that cutting sugar completley for your life will totally cure you of anxiety, but I'm not so sure about that one.

I don't know, did he mean they were the only things that caused SA, or just one of the things/something that could contribute?
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Never drank green tea - have eaten pumpkin seeds not not taking notice.

Diet does have an effect though
    life---> <---me

IllusionOfHappiness's Avatar killer of conversations
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    ...errr...

I mean no offence to anyone, but I generally feel like punching these people. Jeez, I've never even drunk green tea.
    This feeling. This feeling right here.
    I don't know, did he mean they were the only things that caused SA, or just one of the things/something that could contribute?
    This also.

I doubt whomever you spoke with actually claimed green tea as the "cause" of SA and raw pumpkin seeds as the "cure". As in the one and only cause and cure. For everyone. There are dozens of factors to take into consideration. What works for one person will fail for another. Or course diet can have an effect on your anxiety. But seriously...this is still pretty laughable.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There are many different factors to take into consideration when looking at the cause of a person's anxiety and what might help.

As it happens, I have been eating pumpkin seeds along with sunflower seeds for about a week now. I cannot deny the shift in my mood. I often have quite a low mood but this past week I've experienced a noticeable difference in my mood and how I feel.

There is some evidence to back this up but without a visit to my doctor I cannot confirm that the changes I've experienced were as a result of the seeds or anything I've eaten. They could have been caused by anything as I am also doing personal therapy work, making changes to my life etc.

By all means discuss diet concerns in relation to anxiety with your doctor but be wary of any nutrition claims that are not backed up by evidence. If in doubt, talk to your doctor.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    ^Glad that the Pumpkin seeds helped you.

Caffiene is the only one I know of, and it was my GP that told me to cut it. I think it increasesanxiety by raising your hate rate, so as increasing panic...

I don't know, I can't really trust google much, one website is claiming eating seaweed, acai berries and maca root will help by anxiety, but I'm not really sure those are actually avalibille at the supermarket...I don't know, that's just beginning to seem a bit...far fetched for me? One of mums friends drinks a disgusting green smoothie every morning but heck...I don't really want to have to be doing that every day to get control of my anxiety.

Would I? I don't know.

Edit
    -Weird, just as this thread was active, someone posts about the health benifits of Raspberry Ketones, or whatever they are, in the blogs. Still don't think you can buy those at the store.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    *response to thread, not user above

Cutting anything or natural supplements will not cure anxiety disorders unless your disorder is caused by an excess or lack of that thing.

For instance, yes improving the diet may help you have a better mood (if you already eat poorly), but it will not cure an anxiety disorder.

Although they can help improve anxiety, I have not found anything that helps me from natural supplements.

Caffeine for me , the effect depends. Sometimes it improves anxiety and sometimes worsens it. Because while it makes anxiety worse, its an antidepressant. It has made me significantly less depressed at times (does not usually have this great impact , but sometimes does). Depression and anxiety are interlinked. As a result, I could not see any pattern of caffeine having a major impact on my anxiety.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.