Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Answering the telephone

Anyone else find this difficult? I've gotten more and more vary about it, to the point where I jump in fright if the telephone rings. Sometimes I turn it off for days so I won't have to worry. It's having to answer those questions. the what did you do today , and many other questions that feel tormenting and depressing.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have always had problems with phone calls. Aside from the fact that I used to be painfully shy, I think I do a lot of my communication with body language and talking without it is like walking across the street with your eyes closed. I used to just avoid the phone but when I started a business that was no longer an option if I wanted to succeed. Here's how I deal with it, especially a particularly important or unpleasant call..First plan your conversation; try to anticipate all directions the call may go and prepare a response for all contingencies. To avoid being lead in unknown directions try to dominate the course of the call. Make notes in point form that you can consult during the call to keep you on track. Next practice the conversation to yourself. when you are prepared...walk away and do something else totally different and involving to get your mind off it. Then when your feeling relaxed, walk strait up to the phone pick it up and dial without giving yourself time to build up anxiety, look at the phone like a bully that your just going to walk up to and sucker-punch. Get your call done give yourself a pat on the back and do something nice and relaxing for yourself. The positive reinforcement will help.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Dreamer View Post
    I have always had problems with phone calls. Aside from the fact that I used to be painfully shy, I think I do a lot of my communication with body language and talking without it is like walking across the street with your eyes closed. I used to just avoid the phone but when I started a business that was no longer an option if I wanted to succeed. Here's how I deal with it, especially a particularly important or unpleasant call..First plan your conversation; try to anticipate all directions the call may go and prepare a response for all contingencies. To avoid being lead in unknown directions try to dominate the course of the call. Make notes in point form that you can consult during the call to keep you on track. Next practice the conversation to yourself. when you are prepared...walk away and do something else totally different and involving to get your mind off it. Then when your feeling relaxed, walk strait up to the phone pick it up and dial without giving yourself time to build up anxiety, look at the phone like a bully that your just going to walk up to and sucker-punch. Get your call done give yourself a pat on the back and do something nice and relaxing for yourself. The positive reinforcement will help.
    Yes I agree with all of this, very well written. I have observed that people only ask questions like 'what did you do today?' if they cannot think of something to say to keep the conversation going.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    what did you do today

I just say "looking for work"

luckily for me, i have caller ID on my house phone, and usually just ignore it if i don't recognise the number.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Phone calls hmmm i dont answer them at all they ring and i do not answer xD

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    I actually hate it. I don't like using the phone at all. Answerphones...I don't know what it is about answerphones, but generally I'll hit end call as soon as I get that annoying woman telling me I've reached voicemail...

Answering the phone. I usually miss it because my phone is on silence. A lot of the calls I get are from people who withhold caller ID...which leaves me with a "do I answer it?" Usually, if it's withheld it's either 1)Doctors 2)College or 3)Somebody trying to get me to apply for a credit card...I do usually leave it to voicemail. Ironic, since I don't leave messafes myself.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am afraid of answering the phone too. I will only answer the phone when certain people call.
    When the phone rings and it is a number I don't recognize, I just stare at it until the phone stops ringing hoping the person will leave a voice mail.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Answering a phone call doesn't really bother me, because I don't give myself the chance to think about it, I just quickly answer it and get it over and done with. Waiting for a call is what stresses me out.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Unless the call is coming from a family member, it's going straight to voice mail. I actually have calls on silent 90% of the time and they know to text me first before calling if necessary.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I avoid answering whenever possible, but I can cope better than I used to.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Receiving calls, I can usually handle pretty fine. Making calls is where I have a hard time. That and phone calls that are over 5 minutes. A huge part of my previous job involved answering the phone. Kinda forced me to get over not wanting to pick up my phone.

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Unless I know for sure who is calling I always let it go to voice mail. If it's someone I know then I usually don't have THAT hard a time answering but I prefer to keep calls as short as possible...cause then it will get awkward . However, making phone calls is a whole nother story. I simply CANNOT call someone without rehearsing in my head what I am exactly going to say before hand (also trying to make it as short and sweet as possible ). I simply can't think about, cause if I do...then my heart/mind will race, palms will get sweaty, and I end staring at my phone instead of making the call =/

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I will only answer the phone if I know who is calling me.
    I don't have a landline anymore, but when I did I would never answer the phone, I would just let it ring out.
    I only have a mobile now and if I don't know the number, I don't answer.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have a hard time making and receiving calls lately. If my cell rings I let it go to vmail, even if I know who it is, and call them back. Not sure why but it's a little less anxiety for me that way.
    Bereavement is a darkness impenetrable to the imagination of the unbereaved. ~Iris Murdoch

Your girlfriend's silence might be her loudest scream.

If you still have more dreams than regrets, congratulations. You haven't gotten old yet.

Spend every moment like it's your last. Hug her, kiss her, hold her, like it's the last time that you ever will. Because it might be.

Total Eclipse's Avatar Happy Sparkles and Coffee
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Koalafan View Post
    Unless I know for sure who is calling I always let it go to voice mail. If it's someone I know then I usually don't have THAT hard a time answering but I prefer to keep calls as short as possible...cause then it will get awkward . However, making phone calls is a whole nother story. I simply CANNOT call someone without rehearsing in my head what I am exactly going to say before hand (also trying to make it as short and sweet as possible ). I simply can't think about, cause if I do...then my heart/mind will race, palms will get sweaty, and I end staring at my phone instead of making the call =/

You know better to let it go to voice mail when I call!! *bopa* !! I've very well have seen you able to hold down a conversation on the phone :-) You can do it!! *hugs*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.