Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unresolved Workplace Conflict

...so a couple of my coworkers got into a tussle earlier today. They were talking, then one interpreted the other as harassing, and then the other's "friends" jumped in and they all started yelling. Eventually, the manager came over, and the other said the first one was actually harassing and the yelling started all up again...

...so both sides somehow saw that I was nearby, and they want me to give my account of what happened in favor of their side. I'm getting the impression that if I don't, then they'll start harassing me as well since I didn't stand up for their sides. On the other hand, I don't view either side as particularly caring about me, so even if I give an account, then the side I give an account for won't stand up for me...

...not that I want to give an account anyway.

If I approach the manager, I'm afraid that both sides will interpret me as giving an account that influences the outcome one way or another.

The manager isn't really paying attention to me being in a tight spot either, but I really need this job to stay out of my house. I'm trying to build a resume too.

What should I do?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tell them to leave you out of it. You weren't involved in the altercation, so you have no reason to take sides. Be firm and direct, then duck out. If you stick around after telling them, they will probably try to make you feel guilty or persuade you into giving your account of what happened. If you want to be nice about it, tell them that you'd just rather not get involved...being nice might defuse them. Good luck!
    Be yourself, everyone else is taken. -Oscar Wilde

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote jsgt View Post
    Tell them to leave you out of it. You weren't involved in the altercation, so you have no reason to take sides. Be firm and direct, then duck out. If you stick around after telling them, they will probably try to make you feel guilty or persuade you into giving your account of what happened. If you want to be nice about it, tell them that you'd just rather not get involved...being nice might defuse them. Good luck!
    Both good words of advice. If your manager asks you directly, just say what you saw without emotion. If he or she doesn't, then don't say anything. Because if you do say something, it will add fuel to the fire and you will put yourself directly in the middle of the problem.

And if the two people who were fighting don't stop bugging you about "taking sides," then you have a right to ask them to leave you out or go speak with a higher up. I'm sure the only reason they want you to speak up is because they want to be "right." (mob mentality). It sounds like you're working with two immature people there.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.