Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How do I hide my sadness/depression?

I have been seeing a counselor off and on, depending on how much money I have. I don't currently have health insurance. I don't have a good support system. Here are some things people say to me when I go to them for support:

"You will rot in hell if you take your own life."
    "People are much worse off than you. You need to be grateful."
    "I love life. I guess you're looking for a friend that wants to die like you."
    "Your depression is self-inflicted."
    "You choose to be depressed."
    "Everything you complain about, everbody goes through."
    "Stop making it sound like the whole world is against you."
    "You choose to be miserable, so I can't help you."

Those are just some things I hear regularly from my <ahem> "friends." So I've decided that I'm going to flip on a happy switch and just be happy like everyone says I shoud be. Then I'll have friends because people like being around happy people. So my question is how do I do this?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Don't...If they can't accept you and be there for you at your worst, then they definitely don't deserve you at your best. They need to realize that depression is a mental illness, a chemical imbalance in the brain, not a character defect. Them saying that depression is self inflicted is like telling a cancer patient that it's their fault that they have cancer.

-Blade Biersack

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I agree with BladBiersack. And believe me. Turning a happy switch on only hurts you. I did it my entire life and I am now paying the price for it.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Inscrutable Banana's Avatar Diggin' My Potatoes
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm inclined to agree withBladeBiersack and chantellabella.
    “Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.” — George Carlin

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." — George Carlin

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.