Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Klonopin (Clonazepam)

Common brand names: Klonopin and Rivotril.

Klonopin is approved by the US Food and Drug Administration to treat the following disorders:
    • Panic disorder, with or without agoraphobia
    • Seizure Disorders

In addition it is commonly used 'off-label' (which means that it is not formally approved by the US FDA but has shown good anecdotal efficacy in treating the disorder) for the following disorders:
    • Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)
    • Social anxiety disorder (social phobia)

Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I have been on Klonopin for the last 6 years. I started on 1MG per day. Up to 4Mgs per day now. It's effect has diminished to the fact that I need to take it just to feel normal. It was a great help at first. But I quickly grew a tolerance to it and it completely lost its effectiveness.
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

IllusionOfHappiness's Avatar killer of conversations
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Sagan View Post
    I have been on Klonopin for the last 6 years. I started on 1MG per day. Up to 4Mgs per day now. It's effect has diminished to the fact that I need to take it just to feel normal. It was a great help at first. But I quickly grew a tolerance to it and it completely lost its effectiveness.
    Yep. This will inevitably happen if you take it every day or close to it which makes me want to kick babies. It's a great medication when used sparingly but let's be honest, if your anxiety is bad enough to need benzos in the first place then we're going to be needing them quite frequently. It's depressing to acknowledge which is why I typically don't post about meds, not to mention that my doctor wants me off them and that puts all my plans of not being a complete failure in jeopardy. It's very discouraging. I've also been taking it for about 6 years, but I got my tolerance way down since I've been unemployed. I started on 1mg and then it was raised to 2mg per day as needed. I'd take 2mg, then 1mg after a couple years of getting used to the job for work five days a week. Near the end of my time at said job, I think I had it down to .5mg (I was working half days though). Now I even try to go for .25mg sometimes. I go back to school in the fall so my progress will instantly be erased, but ah well. At least I get to save a bit of money in the meantime.

Bah and stuff. I want a brain transplant. Do they do those? They should.

Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Yes. Now I have to take it just to feel 'normal' I went a few days without taking any and by day 3 I felt like I was literally going to die. I get panic attacks. But never had one that sever in my life. I was hearing voices, thought people were plotting to kill me. All kinds of horrible things. It was a poor decision to stop like I did, not to mention dangerous. It's time to get off it now that it no longer has an effect. Except of course when I stop taking it. I need to begin a taper program. In the beginning it was a life saver. But I wish I could go back in time and say no thank you doc!

Beneficial for SAD, but keep it short term folks.
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

IllusionOfHappiness's Avatar killer of conversations
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Sagan View Post
    Yes. Now I have to take it just to feel 'normal' I went a few days without taking any and by day 3 I felt like I was literally going to die. I get panic attacks. But never had one that sever in my life. I was hearing voices, thought people were plotting to kill me. All kinds of horrible things. It was a poor decision to stop like I did, not to mention dangerous. It's time to get off it now that it no longer has an effect. Except of course when I stop taking it. I need to begin a taper program. In the beginning it was a life saver. But I wish I could go back in time and say no thank you doc!

Beneficial for SAD, but keep it short term folks.
    I'm sorry you had to endure that. it's definitely not the kind of medication you can quit cold turkey (not that any med is). Tapering is the way to go. It works very, very well and has helped me through my whole adult life so far since I first started taking it in high school. It works absolute wonders. You just can't take it whenever you want, which tends to be an issue. Clonazepam combined with another anxiety med is probably a better idea, if that means you can avoid taking it so frequently.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.