Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Having trouble writing my resume

So I'm writing a resume tonight, and I'm a bit frustrated. I can't seem to figure out what to say.

I've got everything up to 2011 marked off, but I can't explain the last two years. I worked until 2009, and since then I've been going to school and was taking care of a relative (who passed away in 2011), but I feel like potential employers will look at it and think I was doing nothing.

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    You say you were studying and put the course down / when you completed it. You can also say you were a personal carer for a relative, but I am not sure how to write that. I know people do though.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    FlirtyFlirty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It is always better to not leave time periods blank. Play up going to school and area of study. I agree being a care giver fits in I'm just not sure where. Where I live, the Department of Employment Security, aka unemployment office, have resources for resume writing and even have a person on staff that will look at what you have written and critique it, also look at your college for resources they should have a job placement assistance office.

Good luck.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no one's definition of your life;
    Define Yourself
    -Robert Frost-

kc1895's Avatar KFC Hipster
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It doesn't sound like you were doing nothing in the past few years. If being a "Personal Caretaker" is not related to your field, then include it after your Work Experience with all your real work, and add a section called Other Work Experience and put "Personal Caretaker" in there. Thats where I put my internships and part time jobs.

They will also see your Education and note the dates that you were attending school, so don't worry about appearing empty.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I created it. Thanks guys.

I also added in my work as a musician, which helped things.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Um, I Think this is a type of anxiety. I get that too. I look at my old resumes that I Did out of paper work as I Am throwing it away and I have a hard time believing how much I did and how much money I made back then, in the past. For some reason I always want to poop on myself. so......just go ahead and say that you were a student. And if asked in an interview it is okay to say you were a student and helping relatives. !!! IT's fine I think. The goal is to get the job not to perfect a resume. I have rewritten my resume like....too many times. The employer I have now didn't even give a rats arse.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My adviser really helped me out. I was able to create a good looking resume.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    FlirtyFlirty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote WintersTale View Post
    My adviser really helped me out. I was able to create a good looking resume.
    Way to go, good luck with the job search.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no one's definition of your life;
    Define Yourself
    -Robert Frost-

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.