Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote takethebiscuit View Post
    And the smell of cigarette smoke gets you all the time.
    Same here. >.>

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote sagar View Post
    Hello,
    You know i also have this moment sometimes but it is quite different like when i walk or sit alone then i something comes very fast on my face it happen in just 1 one 2 sec but i feel like shaky and amazed at that time...
    I agree that it is like that. It is not very fun. I hate when it comes on for no reason and then you sit there shaky like it just happened.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote merc View Post
    After my daughter's 6 surgeries were finished, basically we were done with the major repairs and more into coping with her routine, I was watching something on television and this medical show came on and I didn't change the channel and this dark curly haired little girl who although from Pakistan reminded me of my daughter came on. She was having a hole in her heart fixed. The hallway for the surgery looked just like the one my daughter was in for her first surgery. The pre-op room very similar and I was there back in pre-op with the crazy pacing surgical nurse the strange outdated looking sink, the hustle and bustle and I remember what it smelled like. Thank God I was alone I just sat there and cried for hours. My therapist said it was likely a PTS flashback. When she was going through all those surgeries, especially before they knew what was wrong with her, the first surgery, there was so much going on. I kept pushing back emotions waiting for the next surgery and the next. I barely remember my son as a baby. It's like I woke up one day and he's two.The therapist said that I probably never processed the grief of having a child almost die and I was too busy with caring for three children and waiting for another surgery to deal with it.
    Our daughter, twin to our youngest son, died in utero. The remainder of my pregnancy was one medical emergency after another, and even after he was born, he had a heart problem that consumed us for months. I think one of my coping mechanisms is to forget things - I have absolutely no recollection of his first year at all. I've looked at photos over the years to construct my own versions of memories.

It upsets me because he's my youngest, and I remember every moment of my two older children's baby days. But not his - I lost that entire year.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Does anybody else here get flashbacks from events that you wouldn't ordinarily consider traumatic? I get flashbacks from a bad breakup that happened over the phone, for example, and can't drive on that road at that time or I'll end up reliving it--despite being long over the woman who broke up with me. There is some "real" trauma in my past too, but for some reason it's the lesser-seeming ones that I flash back to, and that really get in the way of my functioning.

I aim to take this up with my therapist next week.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote sanspants View Post
    Does anybody else here get flashbacks from events that you wouldn't ordinarily consider traumatic? I get flashbacks from a bad breakup that happened over the phone, for example, and can't drive on that road at that time or I'll end up reliving it--despite being long over the woman who broke up with me. There is some "real" trauma in my past too, but for some reason it's the lesser-seeming ones that I flash back to, and that really get in the way of my functioning.

I aim to take this up with my therapist next week.
    Yep. I get situations that replay over and over in my head. They weren't traumatic, but they bothered me at the time.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote chantellabella View Post
    Yep. I get situations that replay over and over in my head. They weren't traumatic, but they bothered me at the time.
    I know what you mean, but what I mean is having actual flashbacks for events that shouldn't matter so much. Regarding that ex-- When I drive down the highway, past the spot where I was cruising when she ended the engagement over the phone, I'm right back in that moment, reliving it, going through the disbelief and the grief all over again.

I mostly have these flashbacks for relationships that ended in some sort of anticlimax, making them unfinished business. Anytime someone just dismissed me from their lives after we were very close, I seem to be somehow traumatized worse than when I was stabbed, etc. I'm guessing that on an emotional level, having the proverbial rug pulled out from under me is more damaging than the violating feeling of being physically assaulted. Perhaps that's because I've had absolutely no control in those emotional situations, whereas when attacked physically I could at least retaliate.

Does any of that make any sense?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Nightingale View Post
    Our daughter, twin to our youngest son, died in utero. The remainder of my pregnancy was one medical emergency after another, and even after he was born, he had a heart problem that consumed us for months. I think one of my coping mechanisms is to forget things - I have absolutely no recollection of his first year at all. I've looked at photos over the years to construct my own versions of memories.

It upsets me because he's my youngest, and I remember every moment of my two older children's baby days. But not his - I lost that entire year.
    I'm sorry that you had that experience. I blocked out many stressful things also in my past and it feels very surreal, like it didn't even happen. It has to be so hard though to realize that you missed a lot of your child's first year.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I know what you mean, but what I mean is having actual flashbacks for events that shouldn't matter so much. Regarding that ex-- When I drive down the highway, past the spot where I was cruising when she ended the engagement over the phone, I'm right back in that moment, reliving it, going through the disbelief and the grief all over again.

I mostly have these flashbacks for relationships that ended in some sort of anticlimax, making them unfinished business. Anytime someone just dismissed me from their lives after we were very close, I seem to be somehow traumatized worse than when I was stabbed, etc. I'm guessing that on an emotional level, having the proverbial rug pulled out from under me is more damaging than the violating feeling of being physically assaulted. Perhaps that's because I've had absolutely no control in those emotional situations, whereas when attacked physically I could at least retaliate.

Does any of that make any sense?
    Yep, it definitely does. I truly believe that emotional scars are sometimes much worse than the physical ones.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Ok, so last Monday, I was standing in my yard when a neighbor started shooting through the fence, through both walls of my heavy resin shed, and the bullets were hitting my house. I had just stepped away from that spot about a minute before he started shooting. I tried screaming at him to stop. Not sure why I didn't run for cover like my cats did.

I pulled a chair to the fence and looked over it. The guy(s) were far into their house and were shooting blindly out of their back door. They were so far back, they couldn't hear me screaming for them to stop. I dragged the chair to another spot and screamed again for them to stop. All the while they were shooting more of something.

I've been shot at by real guns and have been caught in gang fight drive bys. I knew it wasn't a gun, but it was something so powerful it was hitting my house. I didn't know at the time I looked over the fence that it was going through the fence and my shed before hitting my house. In other words whatever it was, was high powered.

When I looked over the fence again, and screamed, the guy finally heard me and came out. He said he was shooting at a target. I told him he was hitting my house and told him to stop.

After he stopped, I saw that he shot up my shed right at the very spot I poked up my head. In other words, it was sheer luck I didn't get shot in the head or lose an eye. Needless to say I called the police and filed a petition for the guy to be charged.

Since then, I have suffered PTSD symptoms all over again. Jumping at everything, not sleeping, scared to go outside.

After several days of the symptoms and after several days of working with idiots, I finally said, "I'm not going to let that asshole scare me from my own backyard." So I've been in my yard a lot the past few days just daring that [BEEP] head to fire a shot. He did on Monday and I called the cops again.

I know it will all work out. I just have to not let this trigger past trauma. I don't want to give a stupid asshole that much power over me.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    NerdyNerdy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    After several days of the symptoms and after several days of working with idiots, I finally said, "I'm not going to let that asshole scare me from my own backyard." So I've been in my yard a lot the past few days just daring that [BEEP] head to fire a shot. He did on Monday and I called the cops again.

I know it will all work out. I just have to not let this trigger past trauma. I don't want to give a stupid asshole that much power over me.

W O W. What an idiot your neighbor is!!! I hope he gets arrested or at least a big fat fine. That is such a reckless thing to do! And it must have been so scary, especially with your past (Getting caught in a drive-by??!!!!).

You are so great at standing up for yourself, Cindy. I can't even imagine!

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. -- Maya Angelou

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote QuietCalamity View Post
    W O W. What an idiot your neighbor is!!! I hope he gets arrested or at least a big fat fine. That is such a reckless thing to do! And it must have been so scary, especially with your past (Getting caught in a drive-by??!!!!).

You are so great at standing up for yourself, Cindy. I can't even imagine!
    I wouldn't call it standing up for myself so much as doing a pretty stupid thing. I'm not sure why I went after him rather than run. I guess it's fight or flight and I chose fight.

I joked at work that they don't have to worry if a shooter walks into our business. It seems that they will have plenty of time to run while I'm up in his face going, "Stop shooting!"

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I wouldn't call it standing up for myself so much as doing a pretty stupid thing. I'm not sure why I went after him rather than run. I guess it's fight or flight and I chose fight.

I joked at work that they don't have to worry if a shooter walks into our business. It seems that they will have plenty of time to run while I'm up in his face going, "Stop shooting!"
    I salute you . And I would have called the cops too. As useless as they often are, even the local blockheads would recognize that it's not alright for someone to endanger your life while randomly blowing holes in stuff! I had a gun in my face on my 30th birthday, and my only thought was that the convenience store parking lot would be a really ridiculous place to die. Nonetheless, I found myself yelling at the guy, "Look at the toughguy who needs a gun because he can't fight."

Had I experienced a drive-by like you did, I'm not sure I'd have had the guts to say a word lol. Has the un-neighborly situation calmed down over the last 24 hours?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I salute you . And I would have called the cops too. As useless as they often are, even the local blockheads would recognize that it's not alright for someone to endanger your life while randomly blowing holes in stuff! I had a gun in my face on my 30th birthday, and my only thought was that the convenience store parking lot would be a really ridiculous place to die. Nonetheless, I found myself yelling at the guy, "Look at the toughguy who needs a gun because he can't fight."

Had I experienced a drive-by like you did, I'm not sure I'd have had the guts to say a word lol. Has the un-neighborly situation calmed down over the last 24 hours?
    Nope. Just the opposite. That happened Monday before last and this past Monday he was shooting again in his backyard. Probably at the woodpeckers on the pole because I didn't hear the shots hit anything. Not until he gets consequences will he get the message. Unfortunately consequences haven't seemed to happen yet............if at all. Depends on whether some guy decides if it's "worthy" to charge him for reckless damage. This is why I finally quit being a counselor in the Juvenile Justice system. I truly believe the only people who get justice are the rich and loudmouthed. I'm sure this guy's parents are lawyers. He's a student at the college. Due to a ton of circumstances which is the part I can't talk about, it's just really iffy if I even get anything for the holes shot in my shed.

As for what you said to that guy at the convenience store, now that's brave! I could just see us both in somebody's face going, "Oh no, you did not just do that." I'm sure I would be cocking my head and shoulders back while I was doing it also. I can be pretty scary when I get the New Orleans street badass on.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Oh, yeah, I see what you mean. Rich people can get away with whatever they want, it seems. Especially if their parents are somehow part of the city council, chamber of commerce, or whatever. But I'll save you from my "police corruption" tangent : P

Whenever I see locals buying bigger and bigger guns, I think to myself: I'm sorry about your penis.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Nightingale View Post

I know where you are coming from. I don't have really strong memories from my third child's first year or two. I do have one or two which I treasure. I would feed him in the middle of the night while watching Conan O'brian and it was peaceful and nice.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.