Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Hair cuts.....and anxiety?

Hair cuts can be a slightly unpleasant/difficult experience for me these days. This probably doesn't have a lot to do with my anxiety. It is probably something else....me and my personality. For one thing, I frequently feel like I don't fit in in beauty salons/hair cutting places, anything that is all about beautification, I often feel uncomfortable. The main thing is I wanted the person cutting my hair to be gentle with it, that was mainly it, that and a trim. Nothing extraordinary. Somehow she managed to pull on my hair a lot and I could hear it ripping. It's like the sound of threads breaking when I try to put a shirt on that is just too tight and I force it over my shoulders anyhow, those little popping sounds of the threads breaking. Well of course she did the same thing to my hair which bothers me particularly because my hair has been falling out due to stress. So of course the last thing I want is for a hair dresser to rip it. I told her to only cut a half inch off....thank god because if it were to come out badly I don't want to be growing it out for another 6 months before another person could fix it... I think I like my hair, that it the only pretty thing about me and that is probably why I feel like I will flip out if somebody ruins in. In fact I almost walked out of the salon mid-hair cut today. I just started feeling angry like she was messin3g it up and scared of what it would look like afterwards. I am a little miffed that she pulled my hair so much. Sigh, there is only so much we can do to control every experience in life. I don't need somebody to kiss my [BEEP] when I go into a salon, I just want a good haircut without them ripping my hair. That seems like not a lot to ask for. I've had 3 hairdressers who could do that. The rest...eh phooey. My hair looks almost the same it was only a trim but I'm not that happy with it, it's just mediocre. There is also something about going to a salon that makes me feel ugly. Prettiness stresses me out, mainly because I often seem to not be able to do it, and the truth is I don't understand where chicks get all the time and money to beautify themselves. It's really stupid but I even started crying on the way home from getting my hair cut, it's not even a horrible hair cut, like I said it's mediocre. Probably not worth crying over...and I think it's probably about more than my hair. Over all maybe I feel bad about myself and how I look but the majority of the time I kind of put it out of my mind, I simply don't think about it.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I wonder why you feel that place makes you feel ugly. I often wonder if it's the lighting or something, but I hate having to stare at myself while they pull and cut too. But then I look around at everyone else and not a one person looks like the models on the wall. I mostly cut my own hair except when it gets really whacked out and damaged. I actually got mine cut pretty much on Friday and I did something that was a first. I have never let anyone shampoo my hair and even though I held my breath the entire time, I survived it. All the damaged parts got cut off. I still looked like a dork in the mirror while I was there, but I don't have the stress it seems that you had when you got it done.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

VickieKitties's Avatar Living irl
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That sounds pretty stressful, I'm sure you can find a way to style the new cut that you find to be satisfactory. :3
    Feeling like you don't look so great can really make you feel like crap. I get like that a lot, but most of the stuff I'm dwelling on is probably imperceptible to the outside observer.
    As far as the chick pulling on your hair and junk, that just seems bitchy. Hopefully the tip reflected your dissatisfaction.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I really hate it when hairdressers don't know how to brush hair properly. You brush it as if It were your own hair, holding the upper hair so that it doesn't yank the persons head or hurt and put in conditioner. I would suggest getting another hairdresser next time and asking them to be very gentle with your hair.

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I once had a horrible haircut and walked home crying. Mine was short-ish, around chin length. I felt hideous. I mostly get my mum to trim my hair now, but she can't cut straight.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    I hate it. I'm constantly worrying about what the hairdresser is thinking of my hair. Then immeadiatley after, deciding that the hair cut is terrible, and panicking about what other people are thinking.

Ironically, I'm kind of avoiding it now. So, not only do I have enough of a problem with a heck of a lot of curls in the first place, I now have a lot of curls, that are really a pain trying to manage! Think I'm gonna have to brave it soon.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I used to have anxiety about getting my hair cut, but not anymore. I think it was since I made friends with the hair stylist.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hate getting my hair cut, the barbers is one of the places where my anxiety is worst.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Keep shopping around for a different stylist until you find one you are more comfortable with. No one should be pulling or tearing at your hair--that shows a great lack of skill.

I have been going to the same person for a few years now and the person before that I went to for five. I still hate the chit chat that is required but when I feel more comfortable with the person it is easier.
    "You can never really know a person and if you think you can, you're living in a fucking dream world!" David Fisher, Six Feet Under

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.