View Poll Results: Have you felt bad for objects and / or sentimental?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've felt bad for inanimate objects and have trouble giving them away.

9 81.82%
  • I've felt bad for inanimate objects but don't have trouble giving them away.

0 0%
  • I've not felt bad for inanimate objects but have trouble giving them away.

1 9.09%
  • I've not felt bad for inanimate objects and don't have trouble giving them away.

1 9.09%
    Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Empathy for / getting attached to inanimate objects?

As I child I entertained the idea that my toys were were alive, conscious and could be hurt by being neglected or mistreated. I made sure to seat them in comfortable parts of my room and not on cold or hard surfaces. I'm also sentimental and get attached to things easily (have trouble throwing out or giving certain things away). I don't know if that's related.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i used to care about my possessions, but since i lost someone very important to me people matter, inanimate objects dont, thats not to say things with sentimental value dont matter e.g. teddy bears, favorite clothes, photos etc

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    I still have a lot of toys from when I was little stacked on top of my wardrobe. Nobody uses them, and they're just collecting dust...gonna have to take them over to the charity shop one day.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds pretty common. I used to have a stuffed animal who I treated like an actual pet...this was before I got real cats.

VickieKitties's Avatar Living irl
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My best friends are stuffed animals, interacting with humans doesn't typically result in 'friendship' for me.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I still feel this way a lot of the time. I know, intellectually, that it's silly, but I still haven't grown out of it.

terrified
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yup, it happens to me. It's silly and childish, but I love my stuffed animals for the comfort they provide me and I treat them as if they're sentient. I need to own living pets, desperately.

Oh, I'm also a huge hoarder but it's not out of 'empathy' at all (I think that tangible items are the best ways to preserve memories).
    “Avoiding people. I avoid people that I actually like. I suppose that’s a phobia, but it’s also a habit."
    -Morrissey, 1984 (when asked what his worst habit was)

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.