Thread: so.. hi?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ConfusedConfused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so.. hi?

So, um, I'm niamh and I'm here to try and deal with things a little better i guess? well, I have social anxiety and PTSD and if I'm honest, I'm still struggling with the 'mentally ill' label even though I know the only reason I find a problem with it is because of internalized ableism combined with my general fear of how people will react.. but I'm working on it! *^-^* thank you for reading I guess!

Inscrutable Banana's Avatar Diggin' My Potatoes
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    “Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.” — George Carlin

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." — George Carlin

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Hey Niamh, welcome to the forum
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Welcome sweety xx
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Hi niamh and welcome to the forum.

I understand that struggle of being labeled "mentally ill." I also have PTSD and anxiety issues. I've gotten better with the anxiety, but I still struggle with triggers, nightmares and flashbacks of past abuse.

I get angry when someone says I'm mentally ill because to me, that implies that I'm the flawed one. In reality, I am the one who was hurt by "flawed ones." And those flawed people didn't bother to get mental help. In fact, I've been actually called mentally ill by the very people who abused me.

So yeah, you have a right to not like that label. People don't understand that labeling a person is basically calling them a name. Maybe we should go around just calling our abusers names..............hey! Killer Mom! Can you pass me some sugar? Rapey Boy! How's the weather?

Anyway, enough of my soapbox.

Welcome to the forum. There's some pretty supportive people here. Although I'm looking around the forum today and everybody must be busy doing something because it's been really slow for a few days. I'll have to liven it up.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ConfusedConfused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thank you all for being so nice and welcoming! oh my gosh you all are very nice, plus, you put it into words (chantellabella), personally I tend to dislike labels in general, especially when they seem to categorize your entire being (if that makes any sense, aha) ^-^

(also, i am very sorry for not replying/thanking you sooner! I don't have the internet on a regular basis yet..)

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Welcome to AxS!!

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.