Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Apple patents tech to let cops switch off iPhone video, camera and wi-fi

Police forces around the world have had the problem that when their officers get a bit carried away and start pepper spraying tied captives there is someone on hand filming the event on their mobile phones.

While six police lay into prone grannies on the floor with long batons, the pictures can be on the net in seconds, meaning supervisors have to answer embarrassing questions.

But they may not need to fear scrutiny much longer - Apple has patented a piece of technology which would allow government and police to block transmission of information, including video and photographs, whenever they like.

All the coppers have to do is decide that a public gathering or venue is deemed "sensitive", and needs to be "protected from externalities" and Apple will switch off all its gear.

The police can then get on with the very difficult task of kettling protesters without having to worry about a few beating anyone to death.

Apple insists that the affected sites are mostly cinemas, theatres, concert grounds and similar locations, but it does admit that it could be used in "covert police or government operations which may require complete 'blackout' conditions".

Read more: http://news.techeye.net/security/app...#ixzz2bSYWdDm5
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Worrying, but doesn't bother me much. How long does it take someone to record something, and upload it onto the web? The IPod/IPhone wouldn't even need to be connected to the web to do so. Hit camera, then plug it into a USB jack and upload. Voila. Onto Youtube.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Yea those kind of patents to me are truly worrying =/, one reason why Im incredibly sketchy about ever getting an iphone.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    wtf this is insanity! I can't believe apple have actually done this. If Apple are not boycotted out of business for this then the world is sadder than I first thought. This is basically police brutality censorship masked as what? "sensitivity"
    The police while on the streets should NEVER have to worry about this if they DO THE RIGHT THING at all times. This essentially has them admitting that they don't. sad sad.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    The thing being though that I can't see how they'd manage if the thing wasn't connected to the internet or a network somehow. So if it really bugged me, I'd simply shove the IPhone into airplane mode and turn off all WIFI, bluetooths, etc. Then take the photo, go home, plug it in with the USB jack into my laptop, take the photo off the IPhone, and then transfer it onto the internet.

Or, I would just buy an android. Or an old style cell that isn't connected to the web by default. Which I could still take photos with pretty easily.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeah that^^^^ or just use an actual camera (which is how I've always done it from not owning a DumbPhone). their actions aren't worth their embarrassment and that is all it is for Apple and the Police.. embarrassing.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote onawheel View Post
    yeah that^^^^ or just use an actual camera (which is how I've always done it from not owning a DumbPhone). their actions aren't worth their embarrassment and that is all it is for Apple and the Police.. embarrassing.
    Exactly. They're not really managing to censor anything, except from stopping a few idiots who couldn't comprehend life without apples products from taking photographs. Just use an camera. Then plug it in, and upload.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Skippy's Avatar Pickin' and Grinnin'!
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    LOL, Apple being the gov's bitch....not surprising.
    I think its good people get vids. They should freaking account for when they step outta bounds. This is creepy cuz eventually when people in police or gov positions do bad things, they're more protected in doing em! ><

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Apple is doing a terrific job of digging its own grave.

Inscrutable Banana's Avatar Diggin' My Potatoes
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Can't say I'm a fan of something with so much potential for abuse being integrated into a consumer product.
    “Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.” — George Carlin

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." — George Carlin

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.