Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New patterns found in the genetic relationship of five major psychiatric disorders

The largest genome-wide study of its kind has determined how much five major mental illnesses are traceable to the same common inherited genetic variations. Researchers funded in part by the National Institutes of Health found that the overlap was highest between schizophrenia and bipolar disorder; moderate for bipolar disorder and depression and for ADHD and depression; and low between schizophrenia and autism. Overall, common genetic variation accounted for 17-28 percent of risk for the illnesses.
    New patterns found in the genetic relationship of five major psychiatric disorders

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Nice find. I wish more people would pay attention to this. This explains in part comorbidity and also why symptoms of certain disorders can be confused with and overlap with other disorders. For instance, clinically it's often been hard to distinguish whether someone was in acute psychosis due to mania, or schizophrenia. I've seen a lot of people I suspect to have Autism spectrum disorders also show schizophrenia traits too, especially paranoia or incoherent / bizarre communication.

They expected to see more overlap between ADHD and autism
    Yeah I am surprised by that.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    I've heard about ASD's bieng misdiagnosed with Bipolar I. I've heard of the link between Bipolar, ASD and Schizophrenia before. The fact that there's a link between bipolar and MDD doesn't surprise me. If anything, I can think of a lot of people on my mums side of the family that have depession of some kind. And a lot of people I have spoken to who have a mental illness, can pretty much tell you of others in there family who also have one, or who they suspect has one.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.