Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How do you define borderline persnoality disroder?

Cos I might have it, and I need info on it.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: How do you define borderline persnoality disroder?

Anyone???? ):

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is a link that should give you some information

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001931/

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Parakeet

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i think i have this..

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    you can also talk to your therapist to get more information if you are seeing one on this disorder because I thought I had borderline too, but my therapist doesnt think I have even though I got a high score on every test I took about borderline disorder.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    BPD is prolly the most contentious diagnosis in all of psychology. Very heated debate on what it is and what causes it. I just want to say that all of my women friends who were ever diagnosed with it eventually had their diagnosis changed. Men almost never get diagnosed with it and guess what, that is also a hugely contentious topic.

My take on BPD is that its like manic depression but instead of going between happy and sad they go between happy and angry. If you don't rage a lot then my guess is the diagnosis won't stick.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think CityofAngels might be right because I've heard a lot about talk about who has it. And stuff.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote CityofAngels View Post
    I just want to say that all of my women friends who were ever diagnosed with it eventually had their diagnosis changed.
    You can add me to that list. Do you remember when my therapist was diagnosing me with BPD? Well, many professionals later, it's Bipolar and AvPD, and I agree with that. My therapist was misinterpreting everything, and I think he was just trying to fit me into the popular diagnosis of Borderline. I read a couple of books about those with BPD, and it didn't fit me at all.

I find there is a much bigger difference between Bipolar and BPD though, than just sad vs angry.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Monroe View Post
    You can add me to that list. Do you remember when my therapist was diagnosing me with BPD? Well, many professionals later, it's Bipolar and AvPD, and I agree with that. My therapist was misinterpreting everything, and I think he was just trying to fit me into the popular diagnosis of Borderline. I read a couple of books about those with BPD, and it didn't fit me at all.

I find there is a much bigger difference between Bipolar and BPD though, than just sad vs angry.
    I think a big problem is there are only two important diagnosis involving emotional instability, bipolar and borderline. They need more categories for this, lots of emotionally unstable people don't fit into these two categories and get forced into them by therapists.

Also, you already _were_ on that list. Doctors make some screwed up diagnosis. I have an online friend who got herself sterilized after being told she was schizophrenic and later the doctors changed their minds.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote CityofAngels View Post
    I think a big problem is there are only two important diagnosis involving emotional instability, bipolar and borderline. They need more categories for this, lots of emotionally unstable people don't fit into these two categories and get forced into them by therapists.
    Bipolar is not emotional instability, it's mood instability and episodes. The mood episodes last for longer periods of time. Months of depression, or many weeks of mania. Whereas Borderlines are known for emotional instability where they can switch within a day, or within an hour, based on their reactions to their environment. Bipolars can track their mood swings and are generally very responsive to the correct medication. I'm much better now on the proper meds for Bipolar. Borderline is not trackable and they need therapy rather than medications. Personally I think there is a big difference between the two.

I think the problem, which you mentioned, is that there aren't enough categories for "emotional instability". Some doctors will assume Bipolar which could definitely be wrong as Bipolar is more genetic and biochemical. And if they aren't Bipolar, then they assume they are Borderline. The criteria of Borderline is so broad it could include so many people.. it really just seems like a diagnosis/disorder doctors made up just because they needed something to label all the "emotional unstable" people with.. it doesn't seem like a valid disorder to me in the way that it's defined.

Also, you already _were_ on that list. Doctors make some screwed up diagnosis. I have an online friend who got herself sterilized after being told she was schizophrenic and later the doctors changed their minds.
    What do you mean I already was? Did you know about the screwed up BPD diagnosis before now? I forget if you had known, but it was awhile ago last year where that screw-up came to light.

And holy sh.. your friend got sterilized? Really? That is.. just wow.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Monroe right from the start at SAS I was telling you the Borderline diagnosis wouldn't stick with you cuz your too good natured to be a borderline.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I remember you always saying that.. lol. I wasn't sure if you knew about it being professionally "revoked" though, that's what I meant. But yeah, BPD really didn't fit me. My therapist just kept telling me over and over that I was, so, of course, I got mindf-ked and started believing it.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I am taking lectures in personality disorders and my lecturer has no definition - I hate the idea of telling someone their personality is discorded

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    My understanding of any personality disorder is that the person is stuck in a developmental phase. Kids 2 to 7 are egocentric, black and white thinkers, and have a hard time with abandonment. Borderline personality disorder (in my understanding) is basically when a person gets stuck in that age range. That's where the symptoms of love/hate, fear of abandonment, and thinking they have power over others might come from. Part of me has BPD because part of me got stuck in that phase. I've also heard that BPD can be a person stuck in teen years, so I'm not sure which one is the correct age range. I can see that extremist thinking with teens also because they seem to say never, always, forever. I know my teen part does that. But from what I've been taught, it's a person stuck in some developmental year. I know when I counseled, I had to determine what year a person was in and speak to them on that level to get through to them.

One thing that bothers me is when people act like any personality disorder is "wrong" or "bad." I've actually heard counselors joke about BPD and it made me mad. btw, If anyone is a counselor please don't get mad. I'm also an LPC, but no longer practicing. I'm just making a point. Yes, there are extreme behaviors and sometimes a lot of drama like with histrionic personality disorders, but if they would remember that it's a 5 year old or an 11 year old in an adult's body, then the behavior isn't unnatural. I've also heard that it's very difficult to work with someone with a personality disorder because of the roadblocks they have learned to put up. Well, I can see why they might get defensive. They get beaten down by people who only see an adult acting "like a child." My defenses go up too when I don't get understanding from others.

But I was taught to work on them at their level, and literally teach them to grow and cope in a way I would teach a child. In other words, having a personality disorder isn't a death sentence like some people believe. I believe it's just a step toward recovery.

Anybody else think this way?
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.