Thread: fear of loss!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

fear of loss!

Hi Mothermac here,I am a new member and I am just finding my way around the site,however I have been reading the phobia section today and thought I would contribute with my particular fear.I don't know if it has a name but the fear is very real and I think it stems from losing my father at 11 yrs old way back in 1978.

He worked abroad in Africa on the oil and left to go away one day and the next thing I knew the police took me out of school and told me,it was absolutely horrendous. It took us ages to get his body home and thanks to the company he worked for they paid thank god so he is buried here. I was an only child and my mum reacted so badly that looking back now I think I lost her too in a way. Getting back to the here and now so I don't bore you all rigid I have a horrible feeling and panic everytime nearly my husband decides to go out somewhere,it has only got worse since I had my child in 2003 and I definitely think that that was the trigger as I now find myself in the same situation me and mum were in when he isn't here physically. He has a busy job as an account manager and drives a lot and when I know he is on the road...

I worry really badly and I think that is part and parcel of my anxiety and panic attacks. I tend to phone him (he has got hands free thank god) and I have made improvements to this area and cut down my calls as I have known me ring him about 10 times on a short 10 minute drive which has driven him to distraction,he is patient with me but now he tends to get really fed up and says my phobia could bring about the thing that I am most scared of which makes sense(i.e a car accident). When I think of living in a world without him it can actually bring on a full blown panic attack so I am my own worst enemy,he says just don't think about it whatever will be will be but I can't help it sometimes.Some days are worst than others depending on where he is going and I have been known to alter my own day just to hitch a lift and accompany him to his meetings just so I won't sit and home and fume,it's pathetic really and sad. All his collegues know how daft I am and some are sympathetic and some are most definitely not (thank christ his boss was).If he mentions a night out way weeks ahead or a business trip months in the future I tend to worry about it there and then and make my life a misery until the dreaded day,it's really bad.

The gp thinks it's a fear of loss but is it? it also could be a fear of death,or a fear of being on my own,my friend thinks it's post traumatic stress linked to my dad's demise,I just don't know what it is as I used to be so carefree and happy and today I'm a pain in the a.....e.I just wish I could be the girl he married again,but hopefully the counselling may help fingers crossed.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Hey sweety welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story. Losing your father at such a young age sounds like a really traumatic experience did you ever have someone to talk to about it at that time did you get to understand and deal with your feelings? What you say makes sense about having a fear or loss. How does your husband deal or understand it? Is he supportive? You said that you want to be the person you were when you got married, have things changed or did something trigger how you are feeling now? You don't have to answer anything or if you like you can pm me anytime

Take Care
    L.x
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Wow....I think you bring up a good point....it is so hard for us to nail down the cause and start of things. If it is situational or if it is biological. This sounds like it could be fear of loss in my opinion based on what you are saying sounds like that could make a whole lot of sense. (hug)

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    AmusedAmused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I lost my friend some years back and ever since I have been absolutely terrified of the thought of people close to me dying. I get terrible anxiety for the smallest things, such as someone not answering the phone. I often get panic attacks when I think that eventually my parents will die and my older siblings are gonna die. It's really tiring and scary.

Also I'm sorry for your loss.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.