Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Running out of excuses not to go out!

I was just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem as me..

The thought of going out to dinner is scary enough as it is, let alone with a huge bunch of people and being so far away from home, it's not like I can just nip home afterwards, it's an hour's train journey.

I know people are just being polite and it's nice that they include me in everything, but surely if I say no once, they'd get the hint and not ask me again! It's embarrassing, they probably think I'm being rude, but I'm just scared! I'm not telling my work colleagues about my anxieties, I try and keep that separate from my work life, but I'm running out of ideas! Any ideas?

Inscrutable Banana's Avatar Diggin' My Potatoes
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I stopped trying to make excuses quite a while ago, I just say I don't feel like going anywhere. Granted, I have no local acquaintances or friends so it's usually my mother asking me if I want to go somewhere, which is easier than having to say no to other people; however, I'd say that if work colleagues have even the slightest amount of consideration for you they should be able to understand if you give them a basic explanation as to why. It may be something you'd rather not bring up at all but you don't have to give them your life story either, and if you're running out of ideas of what to tell them you'll probably have to eventually unless you either start giving a firm "No" with no explanation as to why or start digging deep and end up with progressively less believable excuses—either of those options leaves open the possibility of people jumping to their own conclusions.
    “Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.” — George Carlin

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." — George Carlin

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ExhaustedExhausted
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The thought of going out to a dinner with others scares me too. I have eating problems where I don't eat a wide variety of food and I am constantly feeling embarrassed when I eat around others.

Maybe trying to face this fear would be good for you? Maybe try and start by going to dinner with 1 or 2 close friends and work your way up.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.