Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    StressedStressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chatrooms with other people who have anxiety

Maybe I'm just "hanging out" with the wrong crowd, but most people I've seen in chats have been very mean to each other. It makes me wonder if they actually have any issues or if they're just there to mess with people and pick on those who are suffering.

Some of them will say that they can't talk much in public because of their anxiety, but in these chats they have no problem insulting each other. Some of it includes video where some users can broadcast a webcam. I guess in a way you're almost saying this to someone's face but they still feel like they can hide behind a computer screen even with the other person knowing what they look like.

Is this always going to be an issue that never goes away just because it's the internet? Sometimes I'd like to think that there are genuinely nice people I might meet every once in a while so that I don't have to assume that everyone on the internet is an a-hole or a d-bag.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote toaster little View Post
    Maybe I'm just "hanging out" with the wrong crowd, but most people I've seen in chats have been very mean to each other. It makes me wonder if they actually have any issues or if they're just there to mess with people and pick on those who are suffering.

Some of them will say that they can't talk much in public because of their anxiety, but in these chats they have no problem insulting each other. Some of it includes video where some users can broadcast a webcam. I guess in a way you're almost saying this to someone's face but they still feel like they can hide behind a computer screen even with the other person knowing what they look like.

Is this always going to be an issue that never goes away just because it's the internet? Sometimes I'd like to think that there are genuinely nice people I might meet every once in a while so that I don't have to assume that everyone on the internet is an a-hole or a d-bag.
    I've found that the drawback of online is that we can't read each other's body language. Therefore it's easy to have communication problems and easy to hurt someone. I think if they honestly saw your expression when they said something, they would see how much it hurts and apologize. Well, not the a-holes, but decent people would do that.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

VickieKitties's Avatar Living irl
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You'd never catch me in a chat room anymore, there's always this clique-y division of people, I hate that crap. Maybe I'm a little too selective about who I choose to interact with to utilize that means of communication.

Inscrutable Banana's Avatar Diggin' My Potatoes
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I hang out in a few IRC channels, but they're related to games and computers. I haven't spent much time in any chat rooms specifically relating to anxiety, but I imagine that they're quite susceptible to people coming in and trolling. The internet is kind of a blank slate for people wanting to act like assholes, it can be hard to find a few tolerable places but they're scattered around.
    “Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.” — George Carlin

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." — George Carlin

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That sounds like more of a general internet thing. It will never change as long as people can't face real life consequences for what they do. But one thing I've noticed also is people with SAD seem to be much more prone to flaming since they bottle a lot up in public as you said. I can't even say I haven't done it myself really.

You can usually tell the ones that really don't really have SA and are just there to belittle though. You can stiff them out from a mile away

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Inscrutable Banana View Post
    I hang out in a few IRC channels, but they're related to games and computers. I haven't spent much time in any chat rooms specifically relating to anxiety, but I imagine that they're quite susceptible to people coming in and trolling. The internet is kind of a blank slate for people wanting to act like assholes, it can be hard to find a few tolerable places but they're scattered around.
    Yeah, I've noticed. I suppose the good thing about this place not being top of the list of anxiety forums on google is that we don't get so many trolls. I don't go anywhere near the reddit/twitter/facebook anxiety chat rooms. Absolutley not. The few chatrooms I've been on are mostly to do with gaming.

Quote Hitgirl View Post
    That sounds like more of a general internet thing. It will never change as long as people can't face real life consequences for what they do. But one thing I've noticed also is people with SAD seem to be much more prone to flaming since they bottle a lot up in public as you said. I can't even say I haven't done it myself really.

You can usually tell the ones that really don't really have SA and are just there to belittle though. You can stiff them out from a mile away
    Welcome back Hitgirl. Haven't seen you around in a while. Hope everythings okay.

But yes, I agree, you can usually work it out. Everything they see usually seems somewhat exaggerated and goes along the lines of "OH MY GOD WOE MY LIFE IM SUCH A LOSER ALL I DO IS SIT AT HOME AND SLIT MY WRISTS ALL DAY BECAUSE EVERYONE HATES ME TODAY A GUY LOOKS AT ME HE HATES ME FML IM SUCH A LOSER WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Or something else that is overly exagerated.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    Welcome back Hitgirl. Haven't seen you around in a while. Hope everythings okay.

But yes, I agree, you can usually work it out. Everything they see usually seems somewhat exaggerated and goes along the lines of "OH MY GOD WOE MY LIFE IM SUCH A LOSER ALL I DO IS SIT AT HOME AND SLIT MY WRISTS ALL DAY BECAUSE EVERYONE HATES ME TODAY A GUY LOOKS AT ME HE HATES ME FML IM SUCH A LOSER WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Or something else that is overly exagerated.
    Thanks. I've just took a little time off that's all.

And it's just sad that there are apparently people out there that feel the need to troll people with SA. The attacks wouldn't bother me much since I'm used to hostel replies on sites like youtube and I know how to fire back, but I worry about people with SA who are fresh to the web and may take the insults to heart.

That can sadly do some real damage if the person isn't healthy enough emotionally.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Hitgirl View Post
    Thanks. I've just took a little time off that's all.

And it's just sad that there are apparently people out there that feel the need to troll people with SA. The attacks wouldn't bother me much since I'm used to hostel replies on sites like youtube and I know how to fire back, but I worry about people with SA who are fresh to the web and may take the insults to heart.

That can sadly do some real damage if the person isn't healthy enough emotionally.
    Oh, I know how to deal with them. I just simply cannot be bothered to in the first place.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hmm I know it would bother me if anyone gave me greed for the stuff that's wrong with me, thankfully I've not come across it yet. At least you know here no one will give you grief because everyone here has their own kind of baggage not too different from the one that you have

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah I didn't like SA chat rooms. From my experience it's mostly been clique-y bullshit, creepy guys and trolls. Even had one guy tell me to kill myself.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.