Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Night in the Andes Ice Forest

Full Res: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130907.html

Night in the Andes Ice Forest
    Image Credit & Copyright: Babak Tafreshi (TWAN) Explanation: This forest of snow and ice penitentes reflects moonlight shining across the Chajnantor plateau. The region lies in the Chilean Andes at an altitude of 5,000 meters, not far from one of planet Earth's major astronomical observatories, the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array. Up to several meters high, the flattened, sharp-edged shapes, and orientation of the penitentes tend to minimize their shadows at local noon. In the dry, cold, thin atmosphere, sublimation driven by sunlight is important for their formation. A direct transition from a solid to a gaseous state, sublimation shapes other solar system terrains too, like icy surfaces of comets and the polar caps of Mars. Above the dreamlike landscape stretches the southern night sky. Their own forms rooted in myth, look for the constellations Pegasus, Andromeda, and Perseus near the panorama's left edge. Bright and colorful stars of Orion the Hunter are near center, with the Large Magellanic Cloud and the South Celestial Pole on the far right.
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *stares in shock, mouth open*

It's amazing knowing such amazing places exist on this planet. I wish more people appreciated such things like I do. It's so, so, so amazing.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.