Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

USA government shut down

So the usa government is shut down. Anybody else a little unhappy about this? Or are we better without them?

http://news.msn.com/us/what-a-govern...own-looks-like

all national museums shutting down..... We should have rich retired citizens run everything god. Let prisoners out of jail and make them run everything seriously this is dumb.

This is not the way of thinking that started this country... people just made stuff happen BECAUSE THEY WANTED TO.

okay so some of this might be off the mark but here:

President gets paid : $400,000 per year (annually), and has a $50,000 extra budget

Oh and while the government is shut down it looks like they are all collecting money : http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-shutdown.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salarie...tates_Congress

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I am excited!

It's about time those in support of Big Government and its benefits get their fair share. The only downside is Congress still gets paid even after they exempted themselves from Obamacare.

NancyPants Pelosi and Harry Bleed BOTH need to be voted out and replaced!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Ironman View Post
    I am excited!

It's about time those in support of Big Government and its benefits get their fair share. The only downside is Congress still gets paid even after they exempted themselves from Obamacare.

NancyPants Pelosi and Harry Bleed BOTH need to be voted out and replaced!
    I'm not excited, any down turn in the economy hits those who are struggling the worst....the people who have bad low paying jobs are most likely to lose them all over again...my whole job is based on consumerism activity. I could lose my job because of this. Business stop hiring etc.

I think those who complain the "big government" phrase are those who have the largest salaries and simply don't want anybody else to have a piece of the pie. Keep the wealth concentrated to a few and "too bad" for everybody else who doesn't own a vacation home in Switzerland to escape to.

You know if there was ever to be rebellion in the streets the ultra wealthy that profited off of the mess will all be on plane flights out of the country.

I think both the republicans and democrats are dysfunctional, people just say the same tired political phrases over and over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-UxpaACDqM

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I haven't even been following politics as far as I can tell the government shut down threat has more to do with fighting Obama care than it does the budget deficit.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Idiots. A shutdown caused by access to a health service that the majority of civilized countries allow there citizens to access for free. All because of some stupid idea that one should pay for that healthcare. And of course, these ideas most likely come from people who've never had to pay an insurance premium or had any serious health condition in there life. And if the shutdown lasts, the country will descend into anarchy. Especially if they're not bothering to pay police/security.

Perphaps they could all stop arguing and see some sense for once? Seriously, why are all politicians idiots half the time?

I wonder how many people are blaming Obama right now and naming him the next antichrist...
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Yea not very happy. My dad doesnt get a paycheck until they pass a budget. Not sure how one can be "happy" about this.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Koalafan View Post
    Yea not very happy. My dad doesnt get a paycheck until they pass a budget. Not sure how one can be "happy" about this.
    What kind of profession is your father in? Has he already been told his pay checks will stop?

Feh and all of the politician high up still get paid while they are at home not working...or doing whatever they do, smoke cigars on golf courses.. LOL It's all kind of Marie Antoinette-ish N'est ce-pas?

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Misssy View Post
    What kind of profession is your father in?
    He does air traffic control and right now he's essentially working for free =/ lol. I guess the ONE kind of good part is that he gets retroactive payment so he will get paid the days that the government is shutdown but who knows when we'll actually get that money back ><.

Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    All "essential" workers will continue working without pay. Non nonessential workers will be furloughed. I blame this on the GOP and Speaker Boner, all over the ACA. Meanwhile:

Obamacare Enrollment Is Beating Expectations

By Tara Culp-Ressler

On Tuesday, Obamacare’s state-level insurance marketplaces opened to the public, marking the start of a six-month enrollment period that will stretch into March. Although there’s been some confusion around the health law’s new marketplaces — also known as “exchanges” — initial reports suggest that a significant number of people are seeking out information about reform. States across the country are overwhelmed with huge amounts of traffic to their new exchange websites.

Here are some of the early details about Obama enrollment emerging on a state and national level (this post will be updated as the day continues):

National website: A senior Obama administration official reported that just three hours after Obamacare’s open enrollment period launched, the national Healthcare.gov site had one million visitors. That’s five times more users on the site than the number of users who have ever visited Medicare.gov at the same time. At about 3:45 pm, the White House’s deputy press secretary reported that up to 2.8 million people had visited the site since its launch, and 81,000 people had called the federal hotline to get information about Obamacare.

<...>

Colorado: In Colorado, the exchange site opened for business at 8:00 am Mountain Standard Time. Three hours later, state officials had completed the first enrollments and the site had logged over 34,500 unique visitors. During the first half of the day, 1,300 Colorado residents created accounts on the site. Creating an account is the first step for people who want to shop for coverage and eventually buy a new plan under Obamacare.

<...>

Florida: MSNBC reports that community health care clinics in Orlando are experiencing long lines as low-income people are visiting to learn more about their options under Obamacare. The CEO of a community clinic in Miami that primarily services uninsured Floridians told MSNBC that Tuesday represents a “new day” for low-income patients who can now gain affordable coverage.

- more -

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013...st-day-states/

Money for nothing: Government shutdown costs $12.5 million per hour

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/mone...our-8C11308802

Here's the price tag for the first government shutdown in 17 years: about $1.6 billion a week, $300 million a day, or $12.5 million an hour.

That estimate, from economic consulting firm IHS Global Insight, covers just the cost in work and services the government is unable to perform as it furloughs 800,000 federal workers. According to IHS, pay for federal employees is considered part of the Gross Domestic Product, which is the total value of all goods and services produced in the nation each year. So no pay for the workers means no contribution to U.S. economic output.

The furloughed workers likely will get back pay when they return to work, as they did the last time Washington shut down. But for now, they are not performing the government's work, except for essential personnel.

"Although $300 million per day sounds like a big number, it is only a couple of thousandths of a percent of the total GDP," of about $16 trillion, said Paul Edelstein, director of financial economics at IHS.

Whether that will have an impact on the U.S. economy in the longer term, is less clear. President Barack Obama said in a statement from the White House Rose Garden Tuesday that the longer the shutdown goes on, the more dire the consequences will be for the economy.

(more at link)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the party that claims to be so very concerned about reducing the debt is costing the country 12.5 million dollars an hour?
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

"The sky calls to us

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    The Furloughed:

http://youtu.be/acLW1vFO-2Q

Not happy.

The House GOP hasn’t passed a single jobs bill, and meanwhile…

Agriculture Department (84 percent of employees furloughed)

Commerce Department (85 percent of employees furloughed)

Defense Departments (50 percent of civilian employees furloughed)

Education Department (95 percent of employees furloughed)

Energy Department (69 percent of employees furloughed)

Environmental Protection Agency (95 percent of employees furloughed)

Federal Communications Commission (98 percent of employees furloughed)

General Services Administration (76 percent of employees furloughed)

Health and Human Services Department (51 percent of employees furloughed)

Homeland Security Department (14 percent of employees furloughed)

Housing and Urban Development Department (96 percent of employees furloughed)

Interior Department (81 percent of employees furloughed)

Justice Department (16 percent of employees furloughed)

Labor Department (81 percent of employees furloughed)

National Science Foundation (99 percent of employees furloughed)

Small Business Administration (63 percent of employees furloughed)

Social Security Administration (29 percent of employees furloughed)

Transportation Department (33 percent of employees furloughed)

Treasury Department (90 percent of employees furloughed)

Veterans Affairs Department (4 percent of employees furloughed)

http://bobcesca.thedailybanter.com/b...furloughs.html

"The sky calls to us

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Sagan View Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.