Thread: Advice Please?

Keddy's Avatar The Awkward Conversationalist
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Advice Please?

I am really getting tired of trying new meds, but does anyone know of anything that helps with anxiety and is FOR anxiety only? I think a big piece of the problem is that I've been getting put on the wrong things and they don't address my specific issues as well as the doctors think they will. I don't think it's right for me to take antipsychotics if I don't need them. I'm afraid of what that could be doing to my body.
    I'm on Geodon and Haloperidol, which are antipsychotics, but were prescribed for me because they have sedative properties and calm me down. I honestly don't think they work that well for anxiety, they just make me calmer and less likely to react to my anxiety. They also have really weird side effects.
    Haloperidol isn't used very often anymore, which was a red flag for me. It can cause a lot of problems that I really don't want.
    I want to try a medication that is for anxiety because it will address the anxiety instead of just handling properties of it. My doctor likes to stay away from SSRIs and beta blockers, so I was wondering if anyone has any advice about anxiety meds that have been helpful.
    I was leaning toward Depakote, if anyone knows anything about that one.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The doctor should be taking your health and feelings into consideration if your not comfortable with the medication then he should be helping you find alternatives which you and he are comfortable with although mainly concentrating on your needs. His professional opinion should stop him from prescribing what is right for you unless there's a valid reason for him not preferring you to take that route.
    If I'm honest my beta blockers in my case I'm not sure that they make a difference. I don't shake or hyperventilate but I still have a panic attack somehow I look like I'm completely fine minus being curled up in a ball crying and terrified beyond belief. However others have had success for a short amount of time whereas if I take them too long (I take short bursts of them when I think I'll panic when I'm bad) and I come off them when I start getting bad again (after being sort of good when i first took them).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keddy's Avatar The Awkward Conversationalist
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Update:
    My psychiatrist said to stay on the Geodon and the Haloperidol but he finally gave up his fight against SSRIs and wrote me a prescription for Paxil... I start it tomorrow.
    Great, I'm becoming a human toxic cocktail with all these poisonous substances I'm ingesting :/
    I hope it at least starts to put a dent in my anxiety and OCD and my depression. It would be nice to stop feeling like I want to die. And the obsessive thoughts I get from the OCD are no fun either
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Chloe View Post
    The doctor should be taking your health and feelings into consideration if your not comfortable with the medication then he should be helping you find alternatives which you and he are comfortable with although mainly concentrating on your needs. His professional opinion should stop him from prescribing what is right for you unless there's a valid reason for him not preferring you to take that route.
    If I'm honest my beta blockers in my case I'm not sure that they make a difference. I don't shake or hyperventilate but I still have a panic attack somehow I look like I'm completely fine minus being curled up in a ball crying and terrified beyond belief. However others have had success for a short amount of time whereas if I take them too long (I take short bursts of them when I think I'll panic when I'm bad) and I come off them when I start getting bad again (after being sort of good when i first took them).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Beta blockers will only attack the physical symptoms they don't do anything to relax you psychosocially
    life---> <---me

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.