Thread: help

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

help

I have sufferd from Generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks all my life and it has gotten much worse since I started my second semester in college. I would like to know If i would be excused from any activity that would trigger my anxiety like for example presenting in front of a class filled with 50 or more students? Is it considered a disability? For a college student. Please answer seriously, this is not something I can just will away.

Keddy's Avatar The Awkward Conversationalist
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hey there,
    Every college is different. I know that personally, my college was able to provide some disability support for my anxiety, but it took a lot of explaining and petitioning. At first, they tended to see it as more of an emotional challenge than a legitimate disability and health problem. It wasn't until I had to withdraw from campus housing and threatened to leave the school altogether because of my anxiety that they began to take it seriously. My psychiatrist had to write a letter explaining that my anxiety was affecting my ability to live on campus.
    I have an advisor at college who was able to get me some help and support for my anxiety. I explained to the disability counselor that I was going to have to leave the school because of the issues I was having. In general, most colleges are going to want to keep you there as a student and will try to be helpful in doing so. Eventually I was able to get accommodations like being able to drop certain classes and find alternative ways to get credits for things that were making me anxious. For example, I was having a lot of trouble in one of my business classes and had to drop it, so I talked to my advisor about additional ways to get credit. She spoke to the faculty in the theatre department who offered to have me pick up some extra credits in place of that class by helping out in the theatre and helping to stage manage the plays.
    Does your college have a disability office? That would be the place to start. Or if you have an academic advisor, talking to them might be helpful in finding alternative things you could do instead of the classes that make you anxious.
    I really hope I could be helpful. Let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you need more information.
    /Keddy
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I had really understanding professors who not only gave me extra time for assignments due to my ADHD, but they wouldn't force me to present if I felt it was going to hurt me emotionally and physically. They nor the university wants a lawsuit for forcing someone to do something medically unsafe. So maybe talk to your professor or to a school adviser. You might be surprised about how understanding they can be.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Speech was a requirement. I was given an ultimatum by my professor get through one speech or I would fail and have to retake this class. I aced all the tests. I got through one speech by just reading everything I wrote down and refusing to really look at anyone. It was quite a traumatic and horrible experience that I've tried to block out of my mind. This was way back in the late 1980s. I think he gave me a C. It was a gift. I think because I aced all his tests and he was the first one to tell me I needed "help." He wasn't too nice about that.

The sad thing is. I've struggled through my entire life with this. I haven't ever really received help. Just tough it out. I've recently tried some things which I'm not sure worked. I've developed so many coping methods some good things and some bad. I am glad I am actually pre-computer, pre-cell phone because I was forced to interact and be part of the world. I 'm no extraverted and great at it, but I can communicate. I go places now and all you see are people interacting with electronic devices.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.