Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They don't work for me :(

Hi, I have GAD. I have taken bunch of SSRI's but the don't work.

Forum Addiction:

de luz, temecula, ca / llançà, catalunya, esp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeah, they only work partially for me - they don't provide nearly the amount of relief that i need to feel stable.

have you discussed other options with your prescribing doctor?
    'There is nothing so horrible in nature as to see a beautiful theory murdered by an ugly gang of facts.' -Franklin

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Misty View Post
    Hi, I have GAD. I have taken bunch of SSRI's but the don't work.
    k. Issues being that buspar is

Even though some swear it's nothing but a sugar pill, buspar at around 30mg's in conjunction with a low dose of Lexapro 5-10mg may do the trick. Issues being that buspirone (Buspar) is a 5HT1A partial agonist. It works in a very slow and subtle way .It's thought that it's delayed therapeutic effects are related to downstream adaptive changes of these 5HT (serotonin) receptors rather than any sort of acute actions. on them. the basic principles of 5HT anxiolytics are that the over amplified anxiety/fear response caused by overreaction in the amygadala circuits of the brain and the alpha 2 delta ligands: can be quelled by serotonergic drugs by enhancing serotonin input to the amygdala.

A few other points. Buspar is a relatively safe drug that has few side effects including physical tolerance and/or addiction. It is used mainly for GAD and not SA. Reasons believed that as it is strictly a 5HT agent. Where others like benzos, voltage calcium channel blockers and glutaminergic regulators, specifically target GABA and glutamate release in the different areas of the brain.
    Some people have good results with the use of buspar and reduced GAD. I am one of them and so is my pdoc and others. Some, including a fair share of pdocs think it is not a valuable med. It would not hurt to give buspar a fair trial. It can take up to two months to feel full therapeutic effects and it is a generic drug.
    Talk to your pdoc. about all of this!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^I'll agree that Buspar is a safe drug with very few side effects. In fact, I'd say no side effects as I'd be unable to differentiate it from placebo.

My GP describes Buspar as "a sugar pill for 98% of patients." My former pdoc thought Buspar was basically useless on its own, possibly helpful augmenting another drug like SSRIs. My brother has been taking Buspar for years. He describes Buspar as "perhaps marginally useful." Not exactly a ringing endorsement there. Sounds more like my OCD brother is simply taking it because he gets it free and he has a strong habit of taking anything that's free, being a man who once bought maxi pads simply because they were free after rebate. He also has a doc who tells him Buspar can help with OCD, though given his continued OCD behavior, I don't think so. On the positive side, it doesn't cause my brother any side effects. Side effects would be the reason he stopped SSRIs after a decade. Side effects & total lack of efficacy would be why I'm not a happy camper after being pushed to try six SSRIs.

Buspar seems to hold the distinction of being the psych med most widely viewed as useless by both patients & doctors.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote UltraShy View Post
    ^I'll agree that Buspar is a safe drug with very few side effects. In fact, I'd say no side effects as I'd be unable to differentiate it from placebo.

My GP describes Buspar as "a sugar pill for 98% of patients." My former pdoc thought Buspar was basically useless on its own, possibly helpful augmenting another drug like SSRIs. My brother has been taking Buspar for years. He describes Buspar as "perhaps marginally useful." Not exactly a ringing endorsement there. Sounds more like my OCD brother is simply taking it because he gets it free and he has a strong habit of taking anything that's free, being a man who once bought maxi pads simply because they were free after rebate. He also has a doc who tells him Buspar can help with OCD, though given his continued OCD behavior, I don't think so. On the positive side, it doesn't cause my brother any side effects. Side effects would be the reason he stopped SSRIs after a decade. Side effects & total lack of efficacy would be why I'm not a happy camper after being pushed to try six SSRIs.

Buspar seems to hold the distinction of being the psych med most widely viewed as useless by both patients & doctors.
    Without even finishing your post, I knew where it was leading. That's the reason for my exceptions above but you are also very resistant to most meds. In other words, you have the constitution of a silverback mountain gorilla! And this is not getting into big pharma brother!

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.