Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I believe I have to do something heroic on the field of battle to impress Odin to spend eternity in Valhalla.
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I was raised a Catholic but do not follow the religion - It is strange I don't really believe there is a higher power but rather a power within - kind of like a Gagarin Angel but not - like if we grow to love and find peace with ourselves it grows and can protect us - it might even just be a feeling but it protects us and lets us know when something is wrong but in order for it to do it's job we much have a sense of who we are as a person. I believe we don't have a purpose in life until we find and give one to our own lives ourselves. I believe in meditation, yoga and self refection but not worship towards any higher power but rather to find peace and calmness and respect for ourselves. Through this we can accept and work on our own faults developing patience and respect for others.

I am also a little nuts and don't share that with many people
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Caleb View Post
    I`m... not so sure how to categorize my belief. Never found a definition that seemed right for me.
    But... to make a LONG story short, I believe that even if we had answers, it wouldn't matter.
    Watching a hand reaching out from the sky can be as equally terrifying, as never seeing it at all.
    Very true, Caleb. I have these thoughts occasionally also.

It's been awhile since we posted in this thread, so it is nice to see others contributing their thoughts and beliefs. The diversity of humankind is just amazing. It's so interesting to see such different beliefs. Thanks for posting.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    I don't know. I was baptized, but for my parents it was more of a social occasion than anything religious. I don't believe a god exists. No, I just don't know, and millions of religions say they're right, and so which one is? There's stories of people dying and seeing jesus, but the brain is a powerful thing, and how do we know the people who say they've seen prophets in Lourdes aren't hallucinating somewhat? My mind just questions things, and with those questions, I can't believe. I guess I used to...kinda. But I've been struggling to, because if God really was a parent, why would he make his children suffer? People have told me that thats not the case, God isn't there, but see the thing is...none of them have what I have. None of them have dealt with exilerating energy filled highs that turn to irritation and agaitation because the person next to you is daring to breathe, followed by a depression that leaves them trapped in bed for two days because they don't have the energy or the motivation to get up. That's kinda why I don't believe. When it began, when I still somewhat believed in god, I prayed and begged for this to stop, but it never did. The mood swings would just get better and worse as each happened. And meaning no offence to anyone on here...I respect that everyone has issues and I'm not saying mine are worse...but do any of you really know what it's like to be in my brain, mental illness aside? I don't know what it's like to be anyone else, I don't know why you believe or what it's like living as you. But I just found it ironic that the people who were telling me that god wasn't there for that reason and that "it was a test" were people who were content with there lives and weren't living like I was. And the fact they were giving examples of people who were tortured and who refused to give up faith, who were terminally ill...as if I was just attention seeking...did not help me or help me to believe any more in God.

And then I see how many people kill for there beliefs, throughout the ages. Why? Why do they do that? And why would a religion condemn you to hell simply for not believing that such a thing exists? I struggle to come to terms with a god who would punish someone for that. On the other hand thoough, I don't see the point in arguing my beliefs with people. It's none of my buisness, and you could believe that the world was made of raspberry cheesecale and watched over by giraffes sitting on tables in the sky who ate sorbet all day long, and I'm not going to argue with you. What you believe...is a personal choice and that's the way I'm always going to see it.

I meant no offence by any of this. Sorry if I did offend someone.
    Hey, my friend. The beauty of this thread as the OP said is everyone's beliefs are welcome here. It's just a getting to know each other place. I think it's fascinating to find out how others believe. In all my years I've found that even if people profess to be in the same church/religion/world view, they still have their own specific beliefs. That's what I hear in your post. It was interesting to hear how you moved from one thought to the next. I think we all do that. I know for me, my spiritual beliefs change as often as my hair color does sometimes. It's usually a reaction to what's going on with me at the time. And as I said in the OP...........no right. no wrong. no debate. It's been really nice to hear people's thoughts without debate or conversion talk. We're building a sort of "World Religions/Beliefs" book here. I had no idea about some beliefs and to hear the details is fascinating. Thanks for posting.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote whiteman View Post
    I believe I have to do something heroic on the field of battle to impress Odin to spend eternity in Valhalla.
    This is a different belief because it reminds me of Viking days and mythology. Are your beliefs based on an mythology or is this something that has developed more in modern times? Thanks for answering.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote lasair View Post
    I was raised a Catholic but do not follow the religion - It is strange I don't really believe there is a higher power but rather a power within - kind of like a Gagarin Angel but not - like if we grow to love and find peace with ourselves it grows and can protect us - it might even just be a feeling but it protects us and lets us know when something is wrong but in order for it to do it's job we much have a sense of who we are as a person. I believe we don't have a purpose in life until we find and give one to our own lives ourselves. I believe in meditation, yoga and self refection but not worship towards any higher power but rather to find peace and calmness and respect for ourselves. Through this we can accept and work on our own faults developing patience and respect for others.

I am also a little nuts and don't share that with many people
    You're not nuts And remember, there's no right or wrong on this thread. We are all different human beings and therefore have different beliefs about this world.

I see your belief as really self reflective and tuned in to who you are. It's sounds really neat and calming to have those beliefs. Thanks for sharing them.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote chantellabella View Post
    This is a different belief because it reminds me of Viking days and mythology. Are your beliefs based on an mythology or is this something that has developed more in modern times? Thanks for answering.
    Yes...my beliefs are based on Norse Paganism. Although it's not, "mythology," it's real. Christianity is, "mythology".
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote whiteman View Post
    Yes...my beliefs are based on Norse Paganism. Although it's not, "mythology," it's real. Christianity is, "mythology".
    I used the wrong word. Sorry. That's what I was thinking that it was more from the Norse region. I guess that why I thought Vikings. And I mistakenly said mythology because it was early this morning. Got my history mixed up. Again, sorry for using the wrong word. I was trying to describe what it reminded me of. That's all. Thanks.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote dizzy View Post
    My relationship with religion is complicated and unresolved. I was raised a Christian (Protestant) and was made to go to the same church for the first 15-16 yrs of my life. There's a lot of things wrong about this church but my parents had a prominent position there and wanted their children to go. In my teens, I rebelled and secretly thought of becoming Buddhist. When I finally was given the freedom to go to whatever church I wanted, I had a lingering bitter taste about Christianity and church-going, although I always admired the teachings of Jesus. And when I think of the big picture (e.g. the universe), to me it makes more sense that there's a higher power. But to this day, when I think about religion, all those old experiences come back and I just don't know what to think.

I guess that makes me some type of agnostic (or deist) - still don't know!
    Thanks for sharing your beliefs. I think it's really neat that everyone has a different way of seeing either a higher power or the cosmos.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote chantellabella View Post
    I used the wrong word. Sorry. That's what I was thinking that it was more from the Norse region. I guess that why I thought Vikings. And I mistakenly said mythology because it was early this morning. Got my history mixed up. Again, sorry for using the wrong word. I was trying to describe what it reminded me of. That's all. Thanks.
    No worries...I wasn't really serious. I said that because many christians think my beliefs are ridiculous, but I don't think they're anymore ridiculous than what most people believe. It's just most people believe those things, and most people don't believe in Norse Paganism, and I get why some people would think my beliefs are ridiculous, but they help me just like a Christians beliefs help them.
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    What's cool about this thread is that there are many beliefs with no one better than the other. Also no one has gotten into a debate which is awesome. I like learning about new ideas.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Lets stay on-topic.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    At some points I had believed in a deity. I called him God, but felt like he was quite different from the Christian God.

hehe i just got a flash back of 6 years ago praying. something minor I got really anxious over. Helped me out
    Not really sure now. Im kind of going through a fog.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote compulsive View Post
    At some points I had believed in a deity. I called him God, but felt like he was quite different from the Christian God.

hehe i just got a flash back of 6 years ago praying. something minor I got really anxious over. Helped me out
    Not really sure now. Im kind of going through a fog.
    What's neat about personal beliefs is that there are no parameters that say you have to believe this or that. The only set rule of a personal belief is that it can change when you want it to change. Since I started this thread, I've changed my beliefs at least 3 times.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hiya Chanti, Well, honestly I haven't given it much thought recently in the past few years. When I was in my 20's I was very interested in this kind of thing, cosmos and spirituality and even some religion, though the older I get the farther away from it I am, maybe it is the grittiness of life or how I can see how life kind of falls apart for people. Not sure what it is exactly, just that losing the hopefulness and idealism of youth I guess...in a personal way of just how life turns out. I keep talking about becoming older on here, I guess because I am appalled that I have had this problem "Anxiety" for so long, and I used to hope that I would overcome it or grow out of it....and life perspective does seem to change. To get back to the answer, my perspective is that we are just another generation of humans, that have come and gone for a very long time, think of the Egyptians, or tribal peoples, cave peoples. From the way I See the world, I am not so significant that there would be any "meaning" to my life. I think my life is meaningless. I did some genealogy and there were generations before me that I barely knew personally as people. Grandparents who I never had a close relationship to etc..... so not even in a spiritual sense of meaning but also in a very tangible sense. These people don't know me and I don't know them, and I sometimes wonder more about the world and people around me and if there is any meaning in that. There seems to be very little. As far as god goes, it just doesn't make sense to me. The discussions of ancient people who are no longer alive and worshiping them. Even those who are worshipping the Dali Lama, a "living god" of sorts.....well what difference does any of it make. I have no answers really. And I figure people can believe whatever they want..but for me it doesn't make a lot of sense. Though oddly enough I still need a sense of wonder and possibility in life. Hardcore....non-believers in the magical..kind of bore me. For as much as I don't consider myself a believer...I feel like I need a sense of magic and wonder in life. Shrug. God clearly isn't here to protect us because look at all the horrible things that happen to people in this world............................I mean after praying and praying and praying...and here we are, god hasn't really answered my prayers.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.