Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Are these animals too 'ugly' to be saved ?

People are used to being asked to help save photogenic pandas, but are there animals whose strange appearance hinders conservation?

Creatures that achieve world fame for being under threat - the panda, the mountain gorilla, the tiger - tend to be conventionally aesthetically pleasing, even cute.

But the scientists who study the planet's rarest beasts say that many of the most precious and threatened creatures have physical characteristics that, although perhaps not adorable in the most orthodox sense, make them truly unique.

A project run by the Zoological Society for London (Evolutionarily Distinct and Globally Endangered) is trying to raise awareness of these less appreciated creatures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20323753

Well the answer is no - they're not too ugly to be saved. Classing animals as ugly indeed.
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Of course I think all animals should be saved and I think those ones listed are unconventionally cute. But yeah, theoretically they are too ugly. Humans respond to neotenous features and those animals don't have them. It's just a weakness of human character to be shallow like that, it disgusts me. And the way humans exploit animals to the point they're endangered disgusts me. I'm pretty much filled with disgust and contempt for the human race right now. Must be having a bad day.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, I agree, they should saved. I don't see them as ugly either, but even if I did, all life is precious to me.

That Chinese salamander looks like something from prehistoric times!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The article says gorillas are cute, where does that come from.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.