Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Effexor (Venlafaxine) - Various others before effexor

When I first sought medical help for my SA I was put on Lexapro, I was on that for 2 years I think it was and it really helped. It was explained to me that this medication was not a solution to my SA but merely a confidence booster in order to take the right steps to combat my SA.

The medication made me go from being terrified of travelling 40mintues to school on a bus or being so anxious about going to friends houses, to being able to go out most weekends and travel the bus with ease.
    I used to use travel sickness bands as my anxiety usually resulted in me getting sick, so these helped distract me and keep me calm.

In conjunction with the medication I went to a therapist who talked through my issues and made me realise that as soon as I had an anxious thought it started a chain reaction that led to my panic attacks etc. He taught me techniques to 'nip it in the butt' before it got too far. Techniques such as digging a finger nail into another part of your hand, grabbing the side of a chair, pushing down on the floor with your foot. Anything to keep your mind distracted from all the negative thoughts that would lead me to a panic attack.

Towards the end of that summer I realised the medication no longer had an effect on me so that was when I was switched to Effexor. I sat my Leaving Cert (in another room from the exam hall) and I started college. Moving away from home was really hard but the medication helped keep me on track and using the techniques I'd learned. I am now going into my second year of college and I'm also not living with my friends this year...so that's something new and challenging for me.

When I feel anxiety coming on or a panic attack I find music, deep breathing and repetitive stroking of a pet or teddy really helps stop me from getting a panic attack!
    I hope this information has helped you realise that medication can help but I aim to get off them completely and beat this myself!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Effexor (Venlafaxine) - Various others before effexor

Yes thank you KDoughy

Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I have been on Effexor for almost a year now at 150mg/day. I think it's time to come off. I got zero relief from anxiety Sometimes I find myself just staring off into space, and I feel all of my emotions have become blunted. Plus some rather unpleasant bowel problems that come and go. I have been on almost every SSRI SNRI with no relief. I'm sure they help some people, but all I ever got from these were nasty side effects.
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    StressedStressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Everyone and anyone considering coming off Effexor be extremely careful and exercise with caution
    they are one of the hardest if not the hardest medications to ween off. I was able to withdraw from paxil, celexa, fluoxetine and even the benzodiazipine klonopin as hellish as it was, I still did it. Effexor withdrawals nearly killed me and i tapered very very slowly, but could only get to 150mg and even at that dose I was constantly sweating, getting headaches and vomiting heck I thought I was pregnant. lol i wasnt but it was a hell of a time, I could only handle three months of that and this was while I was trying to implement a new antidepressant to help ease the withdrawals but nothing but effexor would help the withdrawals from effexor, ironic huh??? the brain zaps, foggy mind and deadly nausea were too much for me, mind you I have been on a high dose since 2006 and tried to withdraw in 2011 after five years of effexor therapy over 300mg per day so maybe it is too late and i am not wiling to withdraw right now, not with a baby and post natal depression and anxiety. Unless going on something like wellbutrin would combat the withdrawals then nope, i would rather add lamictal to effexor than be off them

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.