Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Mum is. Dad...just really isn't.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    My Dad told me today he was always being hit on by women lol I said okay dad good luck on that and changed the subject.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    My mom is definitely an extrovert. She seems to have a lot of friends and is very outgoing. My dad is the complete opposite. I wouldn't say he's shy per se, but he stays to himself and doesn't have a lot of friends, not that it's a bad thing. He's laid back for the most part.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    WorriedWorried
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My mom was a pretty quiet person but she did have some long-term friends. My family moved far away from where she grew up (when I was 5 and she was 38 ), so I guess she lost touch with them. And some of them died.

My dad had friends in high school and then he moved to California when he was 18. He got caught selling drugs in high school (never was an addict or anything), so he had the choice of going to jail or going to this bizarre rehab that was a semi-cult. They engaged in abusive forms of therapy called attack therapy. My dad said that when it was your turn everyone in the group would criticize you and tell you what your main malfunction was. He claims it was good for him but....I kind of doubt it. They would also have nights where everyone was forced to stay up (sleep deprivation) and dance to Doors music.

So he was in the rehab till he was 23 (working the entire time) and escaped in the middle of the night by jumping over a fence apparently. From there he moved into this big house where I think 15 or so hippyish types lived. My parents called it the Victorian House. My mom was living there at the time and that is how they met. So a lot of their friends lived in the Victorian House at one time or another. Eventually my dad lost contact with most of them or they died. My dad is also a very paranoid sort of anti-social person. And it gradually got worse with age, so that's part of the reason he lost contact with people. He hasn't even talked to his brother in many years.

So growing up I don't recall my parents socializing all that much. Almost never had people over at our home. When we were still living in Marin, we would visit my mom's friends and relatives and my dad's brother. After moving to Los Angeles, I only recall one friend that my dad would hang out with. Married guy with kids that was his coworker. Maybe once a year or so before my mom got ill (when I was 12), we would make the car trip back up north to visit family and friends. I don't think my dad has any friends now. Maybe one person but only talks on the phone with him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_therapy

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    My mother is very social. My Dad is dead so not social at all. LOL. When alive the pub was as social as it got for him. Minus a drink he would never have been social at all.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Cornholio's Avatar The Great Cornholio
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My father is very social, often comes off as arrogant and doesn't realize it. My mother, not at all, she has social anxiety.

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Cornholio View Post
    My father is very social, often comes off as arrogant and doesn't realize it. My mother, not at all, she has social anxiety.
    How did they get together when they're so different?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Antidote View Post
    How did they get together when they're so different?
    Good question, lol. Not sure! Maybe my mother wasn't socially anxious when she was younger. They met in Japan when my dad was in the Marines and stationed in Okinawa. A year after I was born, he moved us to the US. She didn't have any friends or family over here and didn't speak much English (somehow my dad learned to speak fluent Japanese in short time), I think that's plays a role in her social anxiety now. Though I have to say, she's gotten a little better since she started working the last few years.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    WorriedWorried
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Cornholio View Post
    Good question, lol. Not sure! Maybe my mother wasn't socially anxious when she was younger. They met in Japan when my dad was in the Marines and stationed in Okinawa. A year after I was born, he moved us to the US. She didn't have any friends or family over here and didn't speak much English (somehow my dad learned to speak fluent Japanese in short time), I think that's plays a role in her social anxiety now. Though I have to say, she's gotten a little better since she started working the last few years.

Does she work at Mitsuwa?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote lethargic nomad View Post
    Does she work at Mitsuwa?
    No, but we were there last Saturday haha.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    My father is dead.
    My mother is mean to everyone and except men or people that make them the center of their world.
    She father was very social.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    My mother is very social, but also anxious about it sometimes. My father is in a band to make sure he gets out of the house now and then. Both need ooooooodles of downtime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.