Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

FDA warns Abilify can cause impulsive urges

FDA warning about Abilify

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning that compulsive or uncontrollable urges to gamble, binge eat, shop, and have sex have been reported with the use of the antipsychotic drug aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristada, and generics). These uncontrollable urges were reported to have stopped when the medicine was discontinued or the dose was reduced. These impulse-control problems are rare, but they may result in harm to the patient and others if not recognized.

Although pathological gambling is listed as a reported side effect in the current aripiprazole drug labels, this description does not entirely reflect the nature of the impulse-control risk that we identified. In addition, we have become aware of other compulsive behaviors associated with aripiprazole, such as compulsive eating, shopping, and sexual actions. These compulsive behaviors can affect anyone who is taking the medicine. As a result, we are adding new warnings about all of these compulsive behaviors to the drug labels and the patient Medication Guides for all aripiprazole products.

Patients and caregivers should be alert for uncontrollable and excessive urges and behaviors while taking aripiprazole. It is important to talk with a health care professional as soon as possible if you or a family member experiences any of these uncontrollable urges, in order to prevent or limit possible harm. Patients should not suddenly stop taking their aripiprazole medicine without first talking to their health care professional.
    http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm498662.htm

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    The odd thing is that I know this drug has been prescribed to treat bipolar disorder. And what are some of the symptoms of bipolar?

Impulse control, excessive spending, gambling and promiscuity.

I find it kind of ironic when a drug that's meant to treat the symptoms of a certain disorder can cause it.

(seconded on the don't stop taking it.)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Total Eclipse's Avatar Happy Sparkles and Coffee
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    The odd thing is that I know this drug has been prescribed to treat bipolar disorder. And what are some of the symptoms of bipolar?

Impulse control, excessive spending, gambling and promiscuity.

I find it kind of ironic when a drug that's meant to treat the symptoms of a certain disorder can cause it.

(seconded on the don't stop taking it.)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    It depends on the persons chemical reaction. If you have more depressive episodes that non, it might help balance some people out.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.